Why become a member? ×

GK MB200 head users

mingsta

There seems to be a fair bit of love for this pocket rocket and I'm looking to get one to complement a Gen 2 Midget that I've recently picked up.

While this is all going to be a bit subjective, I'd appreciate your thoughts on a few questions I had:

Will the clean volume when paired with a BF Gen 2 Midget be enough for stage monitoring purposes (moderate vol - no loud drummer (e-kit) or marshall stacks involved - it's just competing with 2 x 10 inch active wedges)?

Also, what are your experiences of not having seperate gain and volume knobs? How well does that work in practice?

I'll also be DI'ing in to the band's PA from the head. People have referred to the "GK sound" and I guess I have slight reservations about whether the amp is going to excessively colour my sound. We cover a lot of different genres, so having a head with doesn't have too much of a signature sound would be desirable.

For reference point, my other heads are Genz Shuttle 6.2 and Streamliner 600 and I don't find either to excessively colour the tone (more so with the former!) if you're sparing with the EQ and gain.

Thanks!!!

If you're anywhere near Harrogate you're welcome to try mine. Personally I can't really say what the "GK" sound is - the 4 band eq they have is very versatile and I can get any tone I need from my GKs. I don't find the single 'gain' knob a problem, however I tend to gig with my Fusion 550 and use this as a backup, so can't really comment that much.

I bought one recently purely as a back-up amp. I ended up gigging it with my G3 Midget. It is amazingly loud (for its size) and sounds quite warm but not dull. It copes well in a moderate volume gig.

I owned a Streamliner 900. That amp is warm with a massive low end. I would say the MB200 is similar but with less power. I back off the bass on the MB200.

The DI is fine and the single volume knob works perfectly well.

For what it's worth, I'm keeping my MB200. It's light, small, loud and sounds great. I wish I'd known about these years ago. <_<

Frank.

I use one in a two guitar band with quite a loud drummer through either a Markbass Traveler 210 or, more recently, my home built 1x12 (both 8 ohm cabs) and I don't go above 12:00 on the gain.

Like you I as a bit wary before buying, but I'd be very confident it'll be more than loud enough for you.

i don't personally think the amp colours the sound, though it can be a bit bright, but the eq is pretty versatile. Not having a separate gain and volume hasn't given me a problem either.

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear

Thanks guys, for the price and size, it sounds like a winner. Good to hear that its not a million miles away from the streamliner as that sounds great with the midget. I've just nabbed one off ebay and will Velcro it to the cab once I have it, to make a modular mini combo.

Thanks for the info. Mine turned up today in the post. It's tiny. A quick A/B with my two Genz Benz heads and it sounds closer to the streamliner than the shuttle 6.2, which is good, as that is what I was after. The aux in on mine has a lot of hum, but it could be my cable, so I'll have a fiddle tomorrow.

Pretty pleased for the 2nd hand price I paid for it. I'll be selling my pjb cub shortly as I think the midget + mb200 is closer to my needs for a lightweight combo.