Why become a member? ×

What is it with singers and sore throats?

thebrig

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1468134084' post='3088717']
This. Strained muscles, leading to decreasing vocal ability, leading to further strain and progressing in a vicious circle. The strained soft tissue becomes inflamed and sore, also making the area susceptible to infection. Vocal lessons are the kiddie
[/quote]Yep.

I know it's not easy, but if it needs saying/doing, then to be fair to eeryone, it should. A good musician looking to develop should always be open to feedback and suggestions.

Maybe we're more self-deprecating in choral groups, and less of the diva/divo ego of the soloist...

Where I live I have heard a few bands in local pubs (to be honest, not really my genre) and I would say that in the majority of cases the singers and the bands are not in tune with each other and most of the singers have poor technique. There are exceptions and I have heard a few good ones.

Edited by zbd1960

I have just gone through the singers nightmare. Almost a year of not being able to sing more than one or two songs without my voice cracking up and disappearing if I kept going.
MY solution was to give up all dairy products.
I will never rip on a singer for using the "sore throat excuse" AGAIN. EVER!
:lol:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1468150366' post='3088832']
Well we did the gig last night and it went down really well, our drummer was amazing, and the good thing to come from it is that we now know that we have TWO excellent vocalists in our band, which means we are very versatile and should be able to fulfil most gigs barring the whole band going down with something all at once. :)
[/quote]

Sorted, sack the vocalist (lightweight) and let the drummer take over the vocals.
One less to pay and more gig money for the rest of you.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1468354267' post='3090409']
Sorted, sack the vocalist (lightweight) and let the drummer take over the vocals.
[/quote] :) , seriously a good vocalist is more than that, they're a focal point and make the band more entertaining which why they get the most attention, punters all want to talk to the singer after a gig, suites me I'd rather pack the gear away

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1468354267' post='3090409']
[/quote]He's a great frontman who also plays blues harp which really gives our band the sound we need, he's also a decent bloke too.

Our drummer did a great job on the night, but we did miss the harp because we are an old school R&B band playing lots of Dr Feelgood, Nine Below Zero type of material.

We have thought about getting another set of songs together that don't need harp, and songs our drummer would be more comfortable with so that we can go out with confidence should this happen again. :)