Why become a member? ×

strings for electro acoustic??

Mic

hello,
i need to restring my electro acoustic bass. its got the same ones on it from when i got it (about 18 months ago) so they sound dull and a bit sh*t.

what strings are recommended? i use elites on my electric.
can you use electric strings ?

if anyone has some advice it would be much appreciated
cheerz

yeah, you can use normal electric roundwound strings on an ABG.

but specific acoustic bass phosphor bronze strings give more acoustic volume and acoustic-guitar-type zing.

electric flatwounds give a double bass type sound.

in theory you could even use rubber strings as on an Ashbory, if the pickup is a piezo in the bridge, as on most ABG's.

I tried loads (bronze, nickel and those Acoustic Thomastiks) and ended up with Thomastik flats. Less acoustic volume, but a great warm amplified sound. I'd also suggest some black plastic flats but don't go for any heavy guage/high tension ones as they could put a strain on the top of your bass...

I tried bronze ones on mine when I first had it, but really didn't like the sound at all, very harsh sounding and actually quite 'unacoustic' sounding.

I'm currently using DR Sunbeams, they're really nice, very warm sounding and easy to play.

I tried flats but they sounded too much like an upright, which wasn't the vibe I personally was after.

I've got Rotosound Jazz flatwounds on my Hohner fretless ABG, quite an idiosyncratic setup as it's a high action, and 35-95 gauge.
sounds quite double-bass-like, but not much acoustic volume. you can hear it on the main loop line on my track "fluxivity" and some others on my myspace & soundclick players.