Why become a member? ×

The pleasure of cheap basses

BrunoBass

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1465718597' post='3070361']
I had the same problem with a Hohner B2A.
[/quote]

Same here (B2B), and this was solved by a shorter strap, and slightly higher held neck.
From what I read on BC, different body measurements require different solutions though.

With my B2s I wear the strap differently. Normally I would have the strap resting on the left side of my chest but with then headless have it in the middle of my chest. That kind of 'helps' but really it is just using it that gets my head around it. At the moment for one band I swap between a short scale bass and a B2B detuned E-D - lots of little mental adjustments there!

There's a line of Peavey flagship basses in front of me while I play a £70 Harley Benton PB-50.

Course a SC P-bass is hardly a cutting edge design so £70 bass & tapes does the trick grand. Actually have 2 of them,the other sports TI's and a Peavey Ferrite SC.
Not because the Wilkinson is bad but because I had a spare Ferrite ( one with tapes is stock)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1465382944' post='3067659']
At the sort of venue where there was a real risk to my musical equipment I would be far more worried about my own personal safety.

Instruments can be repaired or replaced, that what you have insurance for - you do have insurance don't you?

Human body parts aren't so easy to repair and replace, at least not to the standard where I would be able to carry on doing my job and enjoy playing in a band.
[/quote]

I have to agree with this. I can't imagine playing somewhere where I really would worry about my instrument...

There's only been two situations where I took a not-my-favourite bass:

1) we were busking all day and we were going to be here there and everywhere, with chances of rain...
2) an unusual gig in a muddy forest (a motorway construction protest site actually)

The only issue being that the likelihood of coming home with dirty stuff was high. So not really a big deal after all. I have a favourite bass for a reason, it seems a shame not to play it -the bass I like best and enjoy the most- because I'm afraid it may get dirty...

I never played in a warzone ;) what kind of 'dangerous' places people play?

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1465421906' post='3068170']
I played at a private party last year where I brought my 100-year old double bass and wished I'd just brought electric bass instead. It was a party at your classic communal hippy dwelling, with a dancing audience who were in a whole range of altered states. The gig was great fun (as was the rest of the night), but mashed people kept stumbling into the "stage" area and I just spent too much time fielding people away from the double bass, which escaped major damage but did end up with a bent tuner and a couple of new scuffs.
[/quote]

a double bass, or an acoustic guitar, is a different matter as they're rather more fragile.
Didn't you watch The Hateful Eight? ;)