Why become a member? ×

Sims vs Musikraft vs Warmoth vs Allparts necks

The-Ox

Hi guys

I'm looking to embark on a project (I am by no means building this myself) by making a Precision bass. The neck is to be two piece maple, ideally with a fast neck.

Do any of you guys have any words of wisdom regarding the aforementioned companies? Anything I ought to look out for etc? Would be good if you had an opinion on them all. I'm looking for quality here, so although you could say that Sims is the most expensive etc. but what I'm after, is the highest quality!

Now, this is all opinion of course, but I'd be interested to hear what you guys have to offer :)

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

Taran

Edited by The-Ox

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1465146524' post='3065589']
Don't know Musikcraft but Sims is reknown for being top draw.

I know he can scan necks if you have a profile you are used to and can use as a reference.
He may be expensive but IME, you get what you pay for.
[/quote]

thanks! Yeah I tend to agree, you certainly do get what you pay for. I've used one of his necks before and it was incredible, that and Alan's ACG necks are the best I've used

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1465158106' post='3065742']
thank you both! Beedster, can you expand?
[/quote]

I spent a LOT of money of a custom fretless neck from Warmoth and not only was it not built to specification, their customer service department was characterised by "We know what we are doing, if you don't think the neck is fit for purpose, both you and the very well know UK bass builder who inspected it and wrote a report can take a hike". I sent the neck back to them - at my own expense - and they returned it to me saying they couldn't see any problem other than that I was too fussy. For a total of £600 for a neck I think I'm allowed to be fussy.

I don't judge a manufacturer only by what they produce 95% of the time, but by how they deal with the 5% that goes wrong. In this respect Warmoth are THE worst bass-related company I have dealt with, demonstrating both lack of respect for their customers as well as a complete lack of knowledge about bass necks generally.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1465158681' post='3065757']
I spent a LOT of money of a custom fretless neck from Warmoth and not only was it not built to specification, their customer service department was characterised by "We know what we are doing, if you don't think the neck is fit for purpose, both you and the very well know UK bass builder who inspected it and wrote a report can take a hike". I sent the neck back to them - at my own expense - and they returned it to me saying they couldn't see any problem other than that I was too fussy. For a total of £600 for a neck I think I'm allowed to be fussy.

I don't judge a manufacturer only by what they produce 95% of the time, but by how they deal with the 5% that goes wrong. In this respect Warmoth are THE worst bass-related company I have dealt with, demonstrating both lack of respect for their customers as well as a complete lack of knowledge about bass necks generally.
[/quote]

that's a real shame! You'd expect better for £600, can go to Sims for that much!

Had major issues with getting a moses jazz neck shipped by Allparts many years ago. It repeatedly missed containers and took about 4 months to arrive. It was the head company who were the problem, their UK distributor were extremely apologetic and great to deal with.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1465206414' post='3066013']
That's a shame but can retort with:

Brought a stock body from them, it arrived damaged and offered to replace it or a full refund. Didn't want to send it back so they gave me a partial refund. Been nothing but helpful with me.
[/quote]

From the other side of the fence I just view that as 'easy option first' customer service. Can't be bothered to actually provide you with what you ordered (ie an item that isn't damaged and is the spec you asked for) so they offer to give money as it's quicker/easier for them to deal with.

Decent customer service would have been to arrange the return for you at zero cost and ensure the correct product arrived with you (in perfect condition) as swiftly and as pain-free as possible IMO.

It's easy to throw money at a problem and hope it goes away. Which is fine it that's the outcome you want :-)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1465235468' post='3066394']
From the other side of the fence I just view that as 'easy option first' customer service. Can't be bothered to actually provide you with what you ordered (ie an item that isn't damaged and is the spec you asked for) so they offer to give money as it's quicker/easier for them to deal with.

Decent customer service would have been to arrange the return for you at zero cost and ensure the correct product arrived with you (in perfect condition) as swiftly and as pain-free as possible IMO.

It's easy to throw money at a problem and hope it goes away. Which is fine it that's the outcome you want :-)
[/quote]

Yep, exactly my thoughts also