Why become a member? ×

Future Proof recording interface?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1465139886' post='3065548']
There simply isn't such a thing as a future-proof audio interface. The only way to do it would be to stop updating any of your software including the OS.
[/quote]

Not true with class compliant USB devices. I recently had to install Windows 10 on a spare laptop so I could use an obscure MIDI utility. My ancient USB MIDI interface (circa 2002 or 2003) worked fine because it's class comp!isn't.

The problem with using an older machine is the life expectancy of the drives, and the availability of replacements. I've had both spinning rust (magnetic) and SSD drives fail catastrophically, so I always use a RAID configuration where data is on two disks. However, a lack of parts meant I recently had to upgrade from my trusty quad G5 Mac (running Linux).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1465139886' post='3065548']
There simply isn't such a thing as a future-proof audio interface. The only way to do it would be to stop updating any of your software including the OS.
[/quote]

This.

Or go back to analog and no software involved.

Guest Jecklin

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1465651573' post='3069954']
Or get yourself a multitrack recorder. You can always transfer the files to a computer afterwards.
[/quote]

I've been using a motu 828mk2 for 11 years!!!
When I bought it I needed simultaneous multiple in & outs and external midi in out and thru etc.

The mic preamp amps are on their way out and when it or my computer goes I will get a cassette 4 track for composing with (yes really) and an excellent digital portable recorder for use with my good mics for finished product recordings.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1465651573' post='3069954']
Or get yourself a multitrack recorder. You can always transfer the files to a computer afterwards.
[/quote]

Exactly what I use - a Tascam DP-08. Records to SD cards which can then be read on a computer, or you can connect to the recorder via USB.

Edited by chriswareham

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1465654511' post='3069987']...an excellent digital portable recorder for use with my good mics for finished product recordings.
[/quote]

I use a Fostex MR8-HD for this; 4 simultaneous tracks, for drums. I export by USB with a very ancient bit of Fostex software which causes no problems at all with Win-10, despite its age.

I recorded our last gig, using our new Behringer (cough splutter yes I know shut up and listen for a minute) XR18.

MIc'ed practically everything up (only 3 mics on the drums, kick snare, OH - but we have a percussionist with 3 congas, hand held perc and a perc tree, so he uses 5 mics - 3 mics on drums with a mono OH is my go to live config anyway), DI from bass head, DI from keys, e835 on guitar, 57 on trumpet and a nifty clip on brass mic for bass trombone.

Only ran what needed to be run into FOH, but recorded everything from the input point (ie no fx, no fader no eq, just input from the MIDAS designed preamps).

Recorded with a laptop using Reaper.

Still working on the mix down to be honest - we are in gig season for us so its busy as hell right now - but my first thoughts are as follows:-

1. Its a game changer for me - like having your own bradcast truck would have been in the 90's
2. It records beautifully - actually considering letting my audient 8 channel mic pre go because this is so close.
3. The most practical way to record/mix a live band on a gig I've come across - by miles.
4. Unbelievable value for money
5. Its in a rack to keep it as safe as possible

Is it future proof - hell no.

But I dont want future proof I want the technological innovation to make my life easier, to make it possible to achieve more.

My RME UCX is class compliant - so what, it has never been any kind of a selling point to me. If it werent so good for mixing with I'd move that on as well.

The keys player from my band is in another band, he is so impressed that he wants to use it at a rehearsal for that band to sell the idea to them, because its brilliant with IEMs (6 aux outs, each with eq and limiter on, each out controllable by the person who is using it for their own mix and not FOH - utterly brilliant live!).

If that band buys into it he'll bring theirs along as a spare if the thing goes wrong, but its got a 3 yr warranty so I suspect with a little care it will last just fine.

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1465908237' post='3071979']
But I dont want future proof I want the technological innovation to make my life easier, to make it possible to achieve more.
[/quote]

I think we may mean "continued driver support" rather than future proof. Focusrite's new Scarlett 2 interfaces are claiming lower latency than the first generation. Tech advances like this are most welcomed but good support for older products will secure more brand fans IMO. I mentioned the lack of support for the then premium Forte earlier in this thread and I also recall a thread on here where I was recommending it and you mentioned your preference for RME's style of support for their drivers even if the Forte was regarded as having a better preamp (not saying it was better, but hypothetically speaking I believe that was your preference). Driver support for my Forte would give it the future-proofing that I would need. That is, it would be more likely to still work on a PC 4-5 years down the line.