Why become a member? ×

Behringer BDI 21

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/01/2017 at 13:03, Maude said:

The acoustic version (red one) works well with bass and has a mid control.

Sweepable mid control even.

I pondered on trying it out, but has never gone through with it course I couldn't really find any information anywhere about how well it works for electric bass.

You don't happen to have any recordings demonstrating it?

4 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

For Info... Something i read recently when doing the mid mod resistor...

Some analyser outputs showed Flat is more at the 10 o'clock for B 'n T than the 12 position.

Thing though is that the frequency points for the Treble and Bass controls is set so that is cutting them and dialing up the volume instead equates to boosting the mid frequency around  a center frequency of about 400Hz, whereas the huge mid scoop of the pedal happens around a center frequency of about  800Hz, so there is not really any way you can effectively dial you out of the baked in mid scoop of pedal, except for dialing down the blend, but then you will be bypassing a big part of the reason you would have it on in the first place.

Clever design, let's force mid scoop on everyone. 9_9

And further more to make it even worse the frequency spectrum around 800Hz or so is what normally helps giving your bass tone better definition, preventing your bass from getting lost in the mix.

In all fairness Tech 21 did add a way to to circumvent this issue by including a sweepable mid control on the V2 of this pedal, but unfortunately Behringer doesn't make a clone of that pedal.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Sweepable mid control even.

I pondered on trying it out, but has never gone through with it course I couldn't really find any information anywhere about how well it works for electric bass.

You don't happen to have any recordings demonstrating it?

Sorry I don't. I found it worked really well. I'm not a huge subby bottom end kind of guy but I certainly didn't find it lacking in bass. I never A/Bd it with the bass version but from memory it seemed pretty much the same just with a mid control instead of a drive control. 

I used it with an Ashdown LoMenzo drive pedal so that didn't matter. 

• Like 1