Why become a member? ×

Behringer BDI 21

After some issues at the weekend trying to mic up and EQ my amp for recording, it was strongly reiterated to me that I should buy a SansAmp for recording and as a DI for gigs. I don't quite have a spare £200 sitting about to buy the Bass Driver DI but I've heard that the BDI 21 is a good "clone". I probably wouldn't be inclined to use it for playing live, and most of the stuff I've read online is in reference to using it live, but as a DI for recording and tone shaping, is the BDI 21 good enough? Will it give me a convincing amp sound as I've recorded going directly in to the desk before and it always sounds quite lifeless, even with an EQ added with the recording software.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1464705781' post='3061611']
The blend control is your best friend...
[/quote]

Yes, and don't have the bass and treble up full or you will lose your mids. For more mids back off the bass and treble. The unit works best (for me at least) with quite subtle settings. Just having the thing in the signal path makes a big difference.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464706163' post='3061617']
Yes, and don't have the bass and treble up full or you will lose your mids. For more mids back off the bass and treble. The unit works best (for me at least) with quite subtle settings. Just having the thing in the signal path makes a big difference.
[/quote]

Yup, especially as the 2 band EQ is applied to the clean signal as well as the dirty signal, so if you crank the bass and treble then ALL of your mids disappear, not just the overdriven part of it.

In the studio we recorded at the engineer got me to play through a Sansamp - essentially the more expensive item that the BDI21 was modelled on. His advice was get all of the required sound/eq from your amp, and then put the Sansamp (so subsititute BDI21 there instead) in the line with everything set at midday, and then adjust blend to suit. This is the way I`m using my BDI21 on my home practice set-up, as well as my Sansamp on my live rig. Have to say, it works a treat.

Basically - get a BDI21 - it's pretty much the Sansamp BDDI soundwise. Different Opamps but none the worse for it imo (I have both). It doesn't work from Phantom Power and may be a little less rugged but comparing the price when funds are limited the choice is obvious...Both are something of a Swiss Army Knife for Bass Sounds.

Edited by rmorris

Yup, I've just bought another one as a backup - never had an amp fail on me live, and I don't need the sound help with my amp, but now I've got one in my gigbag, I'm covered. With previous amps (LMIII, etc) I've used the BDI21 and the full-price Sansamps, and had great results. There's a link to a great price on them somewhere on here, too...

Dunno. A quick glance at the manual reveals that the input impedance is 1MΩ, output (1/4") is 1kΩ and the balanced out (DI) is 200Ω, so I would imagine so, depends on the impedance of the DB pickup though, but I can't see it being greater than 1MΩ.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1465321108' post='3067136']
Dunno. A quick glance at the manual reveals that the input impedance is 1MΩ, output (1/4") is 1kΩ and the balanced out (DI) is 200Ω, so I would imagine so, depends on the impedance of the DB pickup though, but I can't see it being greater than 1MΩ.
[/quote]

Thanks Paul - also need a pickup. The J-tone is nice and cheap and seems to be well regarded. I'll see if I can find the specs.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1465318109' post='3067101']
Can the BDI 21 be used successfully for impedance matching of a double bass pickup? Looking for a cheap option. Cheers.
[/quote]

All depends on the pickup and what type it is.
I'm guessing it might be a piezo type. If so then it'll work but many people prefer the sound of a piezo transducer working into a very high impedance which might well be > the 1MegOhm that the BD121 appears to offer.
Having said that, this is often discussed wrt guitar pickups - with a DB it might not be an issue ?
Worth a try imo.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277704-herts-bass-bash-2016-sunday-5th-june/page__st__210"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277704-herts-bass-bash-2016-sunday-5th-june/page__st__210[/url] post 224. The Behringer holds its own against all the others. The core tone of each was actually quite similar. If the same pedal was not a Behringer and not a 10th the price of some of the others, it would probably be lauded on its own merits.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1464731099' post='3062053']
In the studio we recorded at the engineer got me to play through a Sansamp - essentially the more expensive item that the BDI21 was modelled on. His advice was get all of the required sound/eq from your amp, and then put the Sansamp (so subsititute BDI21 there instead) in the line with everything set at midday, and then adjust blend to suit. This is the way I`m using my BDI21 on my home practice set-up, as well as my Sansamp on my live rig. Have to say, it works a treat.
[/quote]

this doesn't make sense, you are basically just using it as a DI

Try setting your amp's EQ flat. Play with the DIs tone shaping options, that's why it's there.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1479370827' post='3175958']
this doesn't make sense, you are basically just using it as a DI

Try setting your amp's EQ flat. Play with the DIs tone shaping options, that's why it's there.
[/quote]

No - it's not just being used as a sraight DI (assuming its switched 'on').
With all the controls at 'midday' there's a significant change in the tone compared to 'bypass' (when it does act as a 'straight' DI )

yeah it does scoop the mids by design, the new Tech21 one has a mid control now I believe

What you want is the Tech21 VT but they're expensive too :(

Just get a VT pedal (not the DI) and buy a DI for fifty bucks/euros/pounds maybe?

I like the VT so much I have v1 and v2 side by side on my board

+1 on the BDI21, and i also have the VTbass. The behringer is great pedal for the price and at the studio will get the job done. Never giged mine but have it since 2005, for home practise and studio. Still working fine.
A couple of years ago i ´ve done the "mids mod" and i found it a really nice upgrade.

Edited by A.G.E.N.T.E.

• 1 month later...

Hiho,BDI21 ,great pedal-got mine S/H 10 years ago for £6.I use it live in front of amps,DI to PA without an amp as well as record with it.
I do 100 or so gigs a year and practice on top.It,s never missed a beat.
I use this all the time even open mic/jam nights that,s how good it is .
For the price it,s a no brainer and I cannae stand that phrase but it really is.