Why become a member? ×

How far to go in refurbishing/servicing vintage equipment?

Twincam

This can apply to a few things, in my case I'm currently still refurbishing my amp although it was supposed to be just a service.

I think I've possibly went too far?. Ok most resistors have been changed, non of the old ones were out of spec particularly although actually I didn't test all of them, but a couple looked suspect so I changed them.
The filter caps were changed they needed it.
Valves changed they were a little tired.
Bias components changed although they seemed in spec.
And a few of the old mustard caps people rave about and some other caps here and there are changed and I think I'm going to change the others out as it is sounding better and clearer every time I've changed something.
I've gotten rid of this slightly annoying fuzz, od tone that was good and bad in equal measures. I'm glad it's how I want it.

So there's not that much original components on the board left to be honest. By design it still sounds "vintage" so to say, but I'm wondering if I should just stop now and leave it alone, as there's still some original resistors and caps and it's working well and suppose it's nice to have a little originality.
Or just totally refurbish since I've went this far.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1464469555' post='3059724']
If you just change everything in sight then you end up with something different to what you started out with and will quite likely devalue the item .
[/quote]

I'm not that bothered about the value really. More bothered about something being in correct working order.
I believe amps sound like they do because of there base design rather than the brand of components if swapping for like for like values that is.

That said I do also think your view is correct too.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1464469555' post='3059724']
If you just change everything in sight then you end up with something different to what you started out with and will quite likely devalue the item .
[/quote]

So you should keep all the sh*te components that you've swapped out and supply them with the amp if you ever sell it.

Many many years ago, I recall the case of a Lotus racing car (not F1) which was used in some major road race and crashed. The crash bent a chassis rail, which was chopped out and replaced by a length of scaffold pole or similar, then the car raced with that repair in place. Years later, the car was sold - IIRC the chassis rail had been replaced properly, but the length of scaffold pole was included in the sale as it was part of the car when it had won a race or two. Can't remember the details, but I'm sure someone on BC will know them...