Why become a member? ×

Stingray - tell me about these pads please?

highwayman

[URL=http://s511.photobucket.com/user/rockstarczar/media/DSCF1741_zpssn6shjus.jpg.html][IMG]http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s359/rockstarczar/DSCF1741_zpssn6shjus.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Please can someone advise me as to the purpose of the adjustable pads on the bridge of my Stingray?

Also, being relatively new to playing, I'm wondering what scale of strings to buy for this as it has a string through bridge?

Before I do any tinkering, having done set ups on Pre-EB stingrays and having owned a classic...

Do the 1990's ones with the big bridges all have the thumb wheels but not actually function?

Just got a 1994, and the thumbscrews seem a bit reluctant.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1463691430' post='3053471']
Before I do any tinkering, having done set ups on Pre-EB stingrays and having owned a classic...

Do the 1990's ones with the big bridges all have the thumb wheels but not actually function?

Just got a 1994, and the thumbscrews seem a bit reluctant.
[/quote]

Yes they should work but they can jam especially if over tightened. From around 95-96 the mute plate and mutes are omitted from bridges and the holes in the bridge plugged with hex bolts - these can be taken out and the mute kit purchased as a part and installed. After 96 they have the shortened bridge without mutes.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1463692708' post='3053484']
Thanks fellas - nickel or stainless strings? I play (so far) with a pick, post punk & 'hair' metal...
[/quote]

I've tried a variety of strings over the years on Stingrays - I've concluded the EB slinky pink pack 100 - 45s do it best for me (these are what they are fitted with as new). The 100 E string also evens up response across the strings (especially useful with the powerful EQ and the thump those mutes can create). The cobalt slinky flats are also excellent - I suspect they'd be good with a pick also.

Normal long scale strings are fine with the through body stringing of the Classic and pre 80 pre EB - plenty of length.

That is a very nice Stingray Classic.

Edited by drTStingray