Why become a member? ×

Feeler: Sei 4 Singlecut; 1st Series 2 - WITHDRAWN

Ok, this will really hurt but something has to go and I've had no bites on my 4001CS (which I'm not letting go for less than it's worth).

Potentially up for sale, my Sei 4 Series 2 Singlecut "melt" top, built for Alex at the Gallery. It was the first Sei Series 2 singlecut built.

Alder body with flamed maple and macassar ebony facings, flame maple neck with purpleheart stringers, birdseye maple fingerboard, Bare Knuckle P and J Bass pickups with Demeter 3 band preamp, Hipshot ultralite tuners and Hipshot bridge. Oh, and red side LEDs.

Weighs no more than 8 pounds, balances perfectly, plays unbelievably, very versatile. I'm absolutely certain that if this goes I'll regret it, but at least I can get Martin to make me another some time in the distant future. Comes with gigbag.

Looking at £1450, no offers. Cost me £2k used, before the last price rise, would now be easily over £2.5K. Martin suggested it would've been something like that price new even at that time. It's in excellent condition; there's a small crack in the finish on the edge of the body underneath the pots (looks more like a hair has been caught in the finish), and there's a mark on the lower part of the P-Bass pickup which was there when i got it; I assume as a result of some of Alex's slap'n'pop action.

If anyone needs more pictures, I can forward them.

Pics attached:
[attachment=14086:IMG_0367.JPG]

Edited by 4000

[quote name='flippyfloop' post='294544' date='Sep 29 2008, 02:05 PM']I also played this at the bass gallery. Really nice bass. It is a 33 inch scale, yes ?[/quote]

Yep, sorry, should have put that. 33" scale. Action is a little lower now than it was. :)

BTW, if my CS goes this will definitely be withdrawn....at least assuming the credit crunch doesn't get too much worse! I don't know who stole my winning Euromillions ticket but it's definitely no fair....(how many basses would £100 million have bought???)

Edited by 4000

I can't really remember - does this have a shallow radiused board (nearly flat) - I do remember that the board had been satinated? Also, what's the string tension like now the action is down a little (it seemed a bit high for a 33" scale when I played it but some people like that - maybe a change of strings has shifted the tension)? Again, a gorgeous bass for the money!

[quote name='lozbass' post='294705' date='Sep 29 2008, 05:25 PM']I can't really remember - does this have a shallow radiused board (nearly flat) - I do remember that the board had been satinated? Also, what's the string tension like now the action is down a little (it seemed a bit high for a 33" scale when I played it but some people like that - maybe a change of strings has shifted the tension)? Again, a gorgeous bass for the money![/quote]

The board radius is flattish, but not as flat as something like a Status. It's actually less flat than my Rick CS, although is flatter than my 72 4001. The change in strings has indeed shifted the tension slightly, but its difficult for me to say because I have 40-95 Rotos on my Rics and 40-100 Gulli (? - Martin's recommendation-) on this. My Alembic has 45-105 Alembics so that feels completely different too. One thing I will say is that I played a Fodera VW yin-yang in the Gallery alongside this and I preferred this.

The board is indeed satinated, although the rest is gloss.

You can't imagine the sleepless nights I've had having to put either of these basses up for sale and then deciding which one I'd be more comfortable losing (neither!). Maybe that would make an interesting thread! As I said my consolation with this would be that Martin could always build me something else when the time comes. Oh I hate being skint....

Edited by 4000

Thanks for the above - I think the strings are 'Galli' (inexpensive but good, French-made as far as I know) - did Martin do the set-up? I agree entirely on the Fodera - your bass made the VW look rough (seriously). I can imagine how you feel - I've just given up a much loved Sei - not an easy decision.

[quote name='lozbass' post='294749' date='Sep 29 2008, 05:52 PM']Thanks for the above - I think the strings are 'Galli' (inexpensive but good, French-made as far as I know) - did Martin do the set-up? I agree entirely on the Fodera - your bass made the VW look rough (seriously). I can imagine how you feel - I've just given up a much loved Sei - not an easy decision.[/quote]

Galli; I knew it was something like that! :)

Yep, Martin did the setup.

Well having just used this at rehearsal for the first time in a while I must say I'm really having second thoughts, especially as it now seems to be the only bass I have that I can wear comfortably for an entire set. Gonna have to weigh up a few things (if you'll excuse the pun); watch this space.

I found myself visiting this page so much that I just saved the pics to my hardrive; stunning, positively stunning. Hold on to it I say!

I'm assuming this is the same bass :)

[url="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=jsdZrYy6gcQ"]http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=jsdZrYy6gcQ[/url]

Edited by jmanfunk

Yep, that's the same bass. Through a 50 watt Crate combo apparently...

The only reason for even considering selling is financial difficulty to be honest. Anyway, we'll see what happens; I may keep it yet.

Edited by 4000

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='4000' post='317041' date='Oct 28 2008, 08:18 PM']Still available.....

......(unless my CS goes first!).[/quote]

Met up with Shaun last night to pick up a pair of cabs and had a play of this bass.....stunning is the best description I can think of. Very light weight bass, lovely neck and very nice action.....if only it had no headstock..... :) ......

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='321013' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:33 PM']Met up with Shaun last night to pick up a pair of cabs and had a play of this bass.....stunning is the best description I can think of. Very light weight bass, lovely neck and very nice action.....if only it had no headstock..... :huh: ......[/quote]

Cheers Dave! Hope you get on ok with the cabs. Nice meeting you properly and chatting; I reckon we'll have a nice bass-bash-in-waiting once you get your new bass...... :)

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='321203' date='Nov 3 2008, 07:07 PM']wow id love to have this
i just been to ilse of wight two weeks ago and swapped my thumb six for a sei flamboyant 6
i cant put the bass down!!!!!!
geezer are you interested
in=
a fender jazz bass plus 4 string
cort artisan 4 string
plus cash adjustment?[/quote]

Ah, you got the sixer? Lovely bass; love that top!

Unfortunately if there's a bass in the world I don't get on with it's the Fender Jazz....you'd know why if you heard me try & play one! Thanks anyway though!

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='321279' date='Nov 3 2008, 08:07 PM']altough looking at the build diares ,
I should save up and get one made. Whats the benefit of a sigle cut?
regards
and major bump on me mate![/quote]

Cheers! Well I think the benefits are fairly unsubstantiated, but in theory more energy may transmit throughout the entire instrument (some argue it makes the neck stiffer too). To be honest, I just love the way this bass feels; it's the comfiest bass I've ever owned, possibly the comfiest I've ever played. It weighs nothing and sits perfectly. I actually find it more comfortable than either of the headless Flamboyants I had (one of which was a six).