Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Image Clarus 1R BIN £200

Platypus

Acoustic Image Clarus 1R on the Bay for £200 looks pretty good value to me.
Not mine
I don't normally post eBay links as some get upset if they are already watching it - however as this has a BIN of £200, I think anyone interested would have grabbed it already (starting bid is £175)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acoustic-Image-Clarus-1R-Jazz-guitar-Bass-amp_W0QQitemZ220285514407QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220285514407&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acoustic-Image-Claru...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

[quote name='Platypus' post='293546' date='Sep 27 2008, 06:54 PM']Acoustic Image Clarus 1R on the Bay for £200 looks pretty good value to me.
Not mine
[b]I don't normally post eBay links as some get upset if they are already watching it - however as this has a BIN[/b] of £200, I think anyone interested would have grabbed it already (starting bid is £175)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acoustic-Image-Clarus-1R-Jazz-guitar-Bass-amp_W0QQitemZ220285514407QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220285514407&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acoustic-Image-Claru...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url][/quote]

I totally agree. I only flag up BIN unless it's something silly that needs looking at or if I have relevant info that might save a fellow BCer buying unwisely.

Why would people get upset if someone posts an ebay link?

Returning to the amp, this is just vague curiosity, but I note the following.

[quote]he Acoustic Image Clarus integrated amplifier was designed to accurately reproduce the sound of all acoustic and electric instruments using a compact and highly portable electronic system.[/quote]

Does it actually achieve this aim?

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='293767' date='Sep 28 2008, 10:15 AM']Why would people get upset if someone posts an ebay link?

Returning to the amp, this is just vague curiosity, but I note the following.

Does it actually achieve this aim?[/quote]

Point 1 - Imagine you've spotted something tasty on ebay, ideally something that has been listed in an incorrect category or with a misspelling in the title that won't show up in a search (ie instead of Fender - Gender etc), you are watching it with the intention of sniping a bid at the last minute and picking up a bargain. Lo-and-behold someone on this forum comes on shouting about this 'potential bargain'... you aren't going to particularly impressed now that the bass playing community know about it and no doubt a few people will take a punt on it, thereby bumping the price. Flagging a normal auction 'bargain' that you've spotted is NOT particularly conducive to getting a bargain :)

Point 2 - They are meant to be quite uncoloured (odd that they are described as 'warm' then :huh: ) and they are certainly small, light and portable. WoT used the big brother of one of these with various preamp pedals and it sounded pretty good to me.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='293776' date='Sep 28 2008, 10:39 AM']Point 1 - Imagine you've spotted something tasty on ebay, ideally something that has been listed in an incorrect category or with a misspelling in the title that won't show up in a search (ie instead of Fender - Gender etc), you are watching it with the intention of sniping a bid at the last minute and picking up a bargain. Lo-and-behold someone on this forum comes on shouting about this 'potential bargain'... you aren't going to particularly impressed now that the bass playing community know about it and no doubt a few people will take a punt on it, thereby bumping the price. Flagging a normal auction 'bargain' that you've spotted is NOT particularly conducive to getting a bargain :)

Point 2 - They are meant to be quite uncoloured (odd that they are described as 'warm' then :huh: ) and they are certainly small, light and portable. WoT used the big brother of one of these with various preamp pedals and it sounded pretty good to me.[/quote]

If something's got a really cheap BIN it's fair game though? In that situation i'd rather someone off here bagged it, spread the love an all that!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='293846' date='Sep 28 2008, 12:57 PM'][b]If something's got a really cheap BIN it's fair game though?[/b] In that situation i'd rather someone off here bagged it, spread the love an all that![/quote]

Absolutely 100% behind you on that one and that's generally what happens. :)

The frustration is when well meaning folk (who normally don't want to buy the item) flag up 'normal auctions' of stuff that they've spotted... problem is that you never know if someone else is already monitoring it.

Hello, this is my first post here. Would you believe, I BIN'd this very amp today, then later in the afternoon, registered on Basschat and saw this thread. What are the odds?
I'm curious to hear how it sounds too. IMO, much of the colouration in amplified double bass comes from the pickup and speaker system, so a transparent amp, while desirable, isn't a cure-all. I was attracted to the clarus because of it's size and power, and DB specific features like the high Z inputs and notch/LP filter. It'll be used with an EA wizzy 10 cab. I'll let you know how I get on...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='294750' date='Sep 29 2008, 05:53 PM']Hello, this is my first post here. Would you believe, I BIN'd this very amp today, then later in the afternoon, registered on Basschat and saw this thread. What are the odds?
I'm curious to hear how it sounds too. IMO, much of the colouration in amplified double bass comes from the pickup and speaker system, so a transparent amp, while desirable, isn't a cure-all. I was attracted to the clarus because of it's size and power, and DB specific features like the high Z inputs and notch/LP filter. It'll be used with an EA wizzy 10 cab. I'll let you know how I get on...[/quote]

Spooky :)

Welcome and be sure to tell us how it sounds.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='294750' date='Sep 29 2008, 05:53 PM']Hello, this is my first post here. Would you believe, I BIN'd this very amp today, then later in the afternoon, registered on Basschat and saw this thread. What are the odds?
I'm curious to hear how it sounds too. IMO, much of the colouration in amplified double bass comes from the pickup and speaker system, so a transparent amp, while desirable, isn't a cure-all. I was attracted to the clarus because of it's size and power, and DB specific features like the high Z inputs and notch/LP filter. It'll be used with an EA wizzy 10 cab. I'll let you know how I get on...[/quote]

Welcome to Basschat..
Well that's two of us that thought it a bargin ! I used to own the two channel version, in fact the actual one referred to above (I bought it from WoT) and think that it will work very well with your DB. How often do you see that sort of quality/power/size/weight, class D amp for £200 ?

Cheers,

P

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='293899' date='Sep 28 2008, 02:12 PM']Absolutely 100% behind you on that one and that's generally what happens. :)

The frustration is when well meaning folk (who normally don't want to buy the item) flag up 'normal auctions' of stuff that they've spotted... problem is that you never know if someone else is already monitoring it.[/quote]

It does seem odd to have a forum called "ebay links" but for it to be somehow wrong to post ebay links in it.

It is true that extra publicity could theroetically drive prices higher, but I don't see much evidence of that happening here. The Encore bass caused much discussion but seemingly not a single bid. I'd imagine that most basschatters in a buying mood would be watching ebay anyhow. And while it's true that one basschatter may already be bidding. But it could be anyone winning the auction. And therefore bringing it to the attention of people here would, on average, benefit the basschatter community more than be of detriment.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='294836' date='Sep 29 2008, 07:49 PM']It does seem odd to have a forum called "ebay links" but for it to be somehow wrong to post ebay links in it.

It is true that extra publicity could theroetically drive prices higher, but I don't see much evidence of that happening here. The Encore bass caused much discussion but seemingly not a single bid. I'd imagine that most basschatters in a buying mood would be watching ebay anyhow. And while it's true that one basschatter may already be bidding. But it could be anyone winning the auction. And therefore bringing it to the attention of people here would, on average, benefit the basschatter community more than be of detriment.[/quote]

eBay links is the chance to discuss all things bass and eBay related, it isn't just about letting fellow BCers know about eBay bargains.

Look honestly mate we aren't talking about your generic eBay auction for something that Tom, Dick or Harry has seen and wants (the Encore). What I am talking about is items that your general search doesn't bring up (listings with spelling mistakes in the title, wrong categories etc.) that have a fair chance 'if undiscovered by too many other people' of staying low or going virtually un-noticed. I'm not saying that no one else in the world will be aware of those listings but you've got less chance of being up against a hardened BC GASer than your normal eBay bass player. :huh:

I have first hand knowledge and experience of this very thing happening and for those people who can't be ars*d to search vigorously for the bargains then the people who come on this section of the site and post all of the little gems it is a godsend! For me I think it is tantamount to stabbing a fellow BCer in the back to post anything other than the blatantly obvious or the BIN auctions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some money grabbing killjoy. I've posted about BIN bargains on more than one occasion and there are several BCers who'd testify to the fact that I'm a pretty straight-up guy who'd help most people out but flagging up the potential bargains (for the stated reasons) does more harm than just letting them go.

Ultimately it's up to the individual and there is no BC rule about what you can and can't flag up but do yourself a favour and consider how you'd feel if you were watching something with the genuine intention of buying and someone came on here advertising it to everyone :) On the other hand if your the kind of person that is never going to buy anything on eBay... Mums the word :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='294879' date='Sep 29 2008, 08:49 PM']Look honestly mate we aren't talking about your generic eBay auction for something that Tom, Dick or Harry has seen and wants (the Encore). What I am talking about is items that your general search doesn't bring up (listings with spelling mistakes in the title, wrong categories etc.) that have a fair chance 'if undiscovered by too many other people' of staying low or going virtually un-noticed. I'm not saying that no one else in the world will be aware of those listings but you've got less chance of being up against a hardened BC GASer than your normal eBay bass player. :)[/quote]

Well then, can we agree that anything in the Musical Instruments > Guitars > Bass category is fair game for mentioning here? And basses with 0 bids?

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='295065' date='Sep 30 2008, 07:06 AM']Well then, can we agree that anything in the Musical Instruments > Guitars > Bass category is fair game for mentioning here? And basses with 0 bids?[/quote]

This isn't my site, as I said anyone can do what they like; this is just my opinion or take on things, people might find that your view is more valid than mine. There aren't any 'rules' governing what BC users can highlight on here, it just seems sensible to have a 'Gentleman's Agreement' about the kinds of situations that we discussed and your suggestion, if you wish to do that, seems reasonable enough :huh: ... I just hope you aren't watching a bass with 0 bids that someone flags up on here :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='295090' date='Sep 30 2008, 08:25 AM']This isn't my site, as I said anyone can do what they like; this is just my opinion or take on things, people might find that your view is more valid than mine. There aren't any 'rules' governing what BC users can highlight on here, it just seems sensible to have a 'Gentleman's Agreement' about the kinds of situations that we discussed and your suggestion, if you wish to do that, seems reasonable enough :huh: ... I just hope you aren't watching a bass with 0 bids that someone flags up on here :)[/quote]

I'm not scared of things I've bid on turning up here. At least at present, there doesn't seem much buying ferver here. Not just the Encore, but other things brought to everyone's attention.

I have posted links here that I was bidding on. I'm still the high bidder, I see. Though I won't win, as that bid was me in "ultra-lowball" mode.

If there was to be an effective agreement, that could be that everyone posts here, but we agree who is to bid. But that most certainly wouldn't be a [b]Gentleman's[/b] Agreement! I've seen similar happening outside a real-world auction house though.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='295261' date='Sep 30 2008, 11:22 AM']I'm not scared of things I've bid on turning up here. At least at present, there doesn't seem much buying ferver here. Not just the Encore, but other things brought to everyone's attention.

I have posted links here that I was bidding on. I'm still the high bidder, I see. Though I won't win, as that bid was me in "ultra-lowball" mode.

[b]If there was to be an effective agreement, that could be that everyone posts here, but we agree who is to bid[/b]. But that most certainly wouldn't be a [b]Gentleman's[/b] Agreement! I've seen similar happening outside a real-world auction house though.[/quote]

In an ideal world that would be just dandy but unfortunately it just ain't gonna happen on a public forum :huh:

I know of one BCer who posted on this site about a bass he'd seen advertised in a shop. He wanted clarification about authenticity etc. he didn't name the shop or anything but surprise surprise when he went back the next day the shop had been inundated with phone calls about the bass. :) Luckily he got the bass as the shop were holding the bass till he returned.

I've got the amp! That was fast. It's in great condition - I guess an amp like this hasn't had to put up with too many rockn'roll gigs. It's a little later in the evening than I'd want to crank it up with the double bass, but I've given it a quick check with my fretless electric. It's very, very clean and flat sounding, like DIing into a desk, so much so that it really shows up the deadness of my strings! Good high end clarity though. I can imagine using some kind of preamp to get a more characterful sound for electric, but I reckon it'll be great with the double bass. Reverb is nice too, i can picture using it with bowed DB.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='297024' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:32 PM']I've got the amp! That was fast. It's in great condition - I guess an amp like this hasn't had to put up with too many rockn'roll gigs. It's a little later in the evening than I'd want to crank it up with the double bass, but I've given it a quick check with my fretless electric. It's very, very clean and flat sounding, like DIing into a desk, so much so that it really shows up the deadness of my strings! Good high end clarity though. I can imagine using some kind of preamp to get a more characterful sound for electric, but I reckon it'll be great with the double bass. Reverb is nice too, i can picture using it with bowed DB.[/quote]

Sounds like an absolute steal then! :)