Why become a member? ×

Facebook Bass Market Place

Pestie

Hello

Has anybody had any experience buying a bass from Facebook. I really need a light bass at the moment after quite a serious illnes and I have my eye on an Ibanez sr500. My problem is, I don't know the seller and unlike here there is no feedback. Any suggestions?

thank you

Mike

Edited by Pestie

I have a couple of times but, as Gumtree, I always meet face to face and pay cash. I get to check it out first that way. If you're not close to the seller maybe there is another Basschatter you trust that could look at it on your behalf?

You could always contact a Basschatter near them an ask if they can go in and take a look and do the deal. It's no guarantee of it being 100%, but it's better than sending money to a total unknown.

Where is the bass located?

Edit: I see your Wanted thread. What sort of weight is the SR500? Clearly you're wanting something as light as possible.
Maybe a (semi)hollow body?

Edited by Grangur

I run the Bass Players Market UK and I can tell you, since we started, I have only been contacted once to report a problem on a sale/purchase, all came down to a misunderstanding and it was resolved very quickly.
If it's in this group it might be worth joining the Bass Players Market UK Feedback Group as the seller might have feedback in there.

As always, take as many precautions as you can: try to collect in person, find someone that can collect it for you, get an address and landline number...and you should be fine.

I've bought and sold a few times on there, at a distance too with complete strangers. No issues at all. I just make sure that I share a few emails, have a telephone conversation, and get a few details from them, friend them on Facebook and get some further background information (I'm not a stalker, honest), then if all feels good I go ahead with it.

I have sold and purchased instruments on Bass Chat , it is fantastic and i have had return customers!!! building up my positive feedback, and i have peace of mind too as a buyer never had a problem on here with a sale or purchase, and the feedback is a fantastic thing to have . most of the guys on here take pride in packing instruments properly and giving a precise description of their gear for sale. I would buy your bass from someone on here, i think facebook would be very dodgy. Just my thoughts.

On top of the points people have mentioned, if you can't meet for whatever reason you can always pay via paypal that will give you some element of protection when buying something online

Bought things off bass chat and various Facebook groups and not had any issues