Why become a member? ×

Dee Dee Ramone P Bass

nash

Slight derail as I've never played a 'normal' Mexican Precision, but I've just gotten a Dee Dee Precision a few weeks ago but my tuppence would be - in comparison to a Fender American Standard Jazz - why do American made Fenders cost twice the price as a Mexican one? Maybe I got a Friday special, but at £1250 or so that my US Jazz cost, it is one shoddy instrument for the price. Comparatively the Dee Dee (and I presume Mexican Fender's in general) stands up very well against a US made Fender.

I was asking the same questions and then I managed to get a practically brand new MIM P (2014 version I believe) for £350, much less than I could see the Ramones bass for sale anywhere. I swapped the original white scratchplate for a black one and it looks exactly like the Ramones one. Plays like a dream and sounds great, I still haven't played the Dee Dee bass but don't see how it could be any better. Slightly different logo on headstock and Ramones neck plate seem to be the only differences.
I'll never knock Mexican basses, I have a Mark Hoppus Signature and its the best bass I've ever played. And I've owned A LOT of basses. Never had a USA P though....