Why become a member? ×

carl martin bass drive vs...

gs_triumph

Hi,

I currently have a zoom b3 but i am going to sell it as i find it difficult to set up to my liking and i spend more time faffing around and less time playing.

I would like to keep things simple and am looking for a drive pedal.. And perhaps a compressor.

I am looking at the carl martin bass drive tube preamp just to add some grit to my sound. I've watched few videos of the pedal and think i am happy to go with it. Only concern is it doesn't have a DI but i don't need one just now... Thinking futureproofing.

Any other i would be daft to not take a serious look at? Dave Hall? EBS? Darkglass?

I never thought I'd want a drive pedal but got persuaded on another thread on here. Ended up with an MXR DI+ which I absolutely love. Only use a tiny bit of it, and it blends clean and driven. The other bonus is the pre-amp on the DI has really tightened up my tone in a very subtle way that I really like.

Only know Carl Martin guitar pedals (the Danish built ones) - they are exceptional pieces of kit.

I've just looked up that pedal. Reviews seem to indicate it's a more modern sounding overdrive. I'm probably not audiophile enough to notice the difference. How do you find it sounds?

I am looking for a punchy warm tubey overdrive just to add a bit of vintage grit.

I'll check YouTube for a video later.

With my main bass, 5 string fretless Shuker P bass with flats and Nordstrand pick up it adds a nice bit of grit, using the blend I can get it so is dependent on how much I dig in. On my second bass, a US bitsa P Bass with a hot Kent Armstrong pick up, the same setting gives me a full blown JJ Burnel tone.

The pedal I liked the demos of, and I'll try and find the thread which made me decide on some grit, was the EHX Soul Food. I would have gone for this had I not been offered a straight swap for what I was selling.

I had a CM on my pedalboard for a long time, ultimately only getting rid of it due to needing the board real estate it occupies. Loved the low gain tubey drive setting, but actually when cranked it did a very decent face melter too. I had the EBS as well, never worked as well for me to be frank, didn't like the overall sound of the thing. Never missed a DI on either....

The two-notes looks like overkill for my needs... I'm trying to simplify and it has as many knobs as the B3 🙂 But does look very interesting.

Haven't had a chance to check out any videos of the mxr yet. Will hopefully get time tomorrow.

EHX Soul Food is sounding good too... Subtle overdrive, like the blend control and a lot cheaper than the CM... Soul food for thought.

The Carl Martin is still topping my list.

Edited by gs_triumph

I have the Bass Soul Food. It's brilliant (according to me) and can also be used as a clean boost. It has a blend control and I loose no perceivable bottom end, it has a drive control and the dirt never gets nasty, it has a treble control which livens up my Streamliner nicely helpin it to cut through the mix and bring out some lovely harmonics. It's not expensive.