Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GB ShuttleMax 6 vs GK Fusion 500

Deedee

I recently picked up a ShuttleMax 6 and it's rather nice with plenty of features, but prior to this I was on the look out for a GK Fusion 500 as i'd heard good things about them.

Has anybody owned/used both and if so how do they compare? I'd be running them into a Barefaced Gen 3 Big Baby 2 (8 ohms).

Almost..........

I have a Gen 3 Big Baby 2 currently and used to use a Genz Shuttle 9.2. and am also selling a MB Fusion! Also using Stingrays so its a pretty relevant comparison..........

Bought the Fusion to replace the Genz as i found the Genz a bit sterile sounding. The Fusion was much more to my taste and has a lot more headroom - the Genz began to run out of steam and the Gallien just has much more grunt about it. Its also a lot more flexible tonewise - use channel B to thicken up the sound and channel A for a more modern clean sound - clearer but not brittle really.

PM me if you need more detailed info or are interested in buying the Fusion - its in the classifieds now

I gigged with a Shuttle 6 for a good few years and have recently converted to a GK Fusion 500.

I was perfectly happy with the Shuttle, it was always loud enough with plenty of head room to spare. I was always able to eq it to the room and I could always be heard, loud and clear. It was lovely and articulate. It could do very clean or down and gritty very convincingly.

I had no reason to change it, so why did I? I think really, it was just down to a combination of fancying a change, spending too much time on BC and hearing good things said about the GK.

Having said that, I have no regrets about buying the GK, it is a brilliant amp. The two channels has been a very useful addition and the eq is extremely user friendly. The valve pre amp is great, does generate a fair bit of heat though, so the powerful fan was a bit of a surprise the first time I heard it. Obviously, not a problem in a gigging situation but loud at lounge level.
My only concern initially was the lack of a clipping light on the GK but in reality, it's not a problem.

I would be perfectly happy gigging with either of these amps.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1459011962' post='3012867']
As the OP is talking about a max series head it has two channels unlike the 9.2 or 6.0.
[/quote]

and that would be why i said "Almost....."

:)

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1459007696' post='3012809']
Almost..........

I have a Gen 3 Big Baby 2 currently and used to use a Genz Shuttle 9.2. and am also selling a MB Fusion! Also using Stingrays so its a pretty relevant comparison..........

Bought the Fusion to replace the Genz as i found the Genz a bit sterile sounding. The Fusion was much more to my taste and has a lot more headroom - the Genz began to run out of steam and the Gallien just has much more grunt about it. Its also a lot more flexible tonewise - use channel B to thicken up the sound and channel A for a more modern clean sound - clearer but not brittle really.

PM me if you need more detailed info or are interested in buying the Fusion - its in the classifieds now
[/quote]

Haha, to be honest it was your ad that prompted the question 😉

I like the FET channel the most and the only way to get it is either a max or an old 3.0, I like the valve channel too and the overall features are really practical, great for using two very different basses or DB and elec bass. I can't imagine what a gig is like where a 9.2 runs out of steam if it was powering say 8 10s or 4 12s!???