Why become a member? ×

Recommend-a-cab

EliasMooseblaster

I'm pretty happy with my current setup, all things considered. I have an Ashdown CTM-100 running into the speaker cab of an old Laney HCM120B combo (which is a 1x15). I seem to have a fair bit of headroom if I need to compete with my guitarist, and I like the tone. I just wonder whether a different cab configuration might help to get a bit more out of the amp.

As a guide, the desired tone is very John Entwistle-inspired - think Leeds/IoW when I'm using a P-bass, and more Quadrophenia when I'm using the T-bird or the SG. Basically good, strong mids as opposed to deep, fat, dub reggae-type sounds.

So what do you reckon? My experience of 115s has generally been good, my experience of 410s much more mixed, but I know this will be down to voicing rather than driver size. Part of me thinks I should get a couple of 12s and have nice modular setup that's easier to schlep to and from the van, but as you can tell, I really don't know!

I have to say, when using a 1x15 a short while back, I had to be a bit careful of the venue size etc
Sometimes, I just found the lower end was quite "boomy" and not as well defined as I'd have liked
EDIT: This was more apparent when playing DB

Why not try a 2x10 or 2x12? Markbass 210's are the hound's essentials IMO
Lots of power and volume for such a small, lightweight cab - easier on the back than a 410 as well
Heard some good reports on TC 210's too. Heard one recently, and the bass sounded fab, although that may have at least partly been the house PA

Good luck with your search

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='spyder' timestamp='1458815590' post='3011084']
If I had your amp I would try a few 2 x 15 cabs.
Should sound fat and loud. :-)
[/quote]
I had considered buying a second 1x15 and running them in parallel...would rather diminish its portability, but at least I could guarantee everyone would hear me!

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1458817590' post='3011125']
Why not try a 2x10 or 2x12? Markbass 210's are the hound's essentials IMO
Lots of power and volume for such a small, lightweight cab - easier on the back than a 410 as well
Heard some good reports on TC 210's too. Heard one recently, and the bass sounded fab, although that may have at least partly been the house PA

Good luck with your search
[/quote]
Cheers! I am tempted by a 2x10 or a 2x12. My own experience of TC wasn't so good - but I'm basing that on a 210 cab in a rehearsal room that I could never get a good sound from - always sounded a bit "plastic" for some reason, but it might not have been well-matched to the class D amp on top of it.

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1458819073' post='3011155']
With a valve amp I love the old Ampeg 410he's (assuming you can run at 8ohms?). Miles better than most of the modern stuff soundwise
[/quote]
Yep, I can run at 2, 4 or 8. Some of the 4x10s I've tried in the past have been a bit too boomy for my liking, but I don't think I've tried an Ampeg cab. Think my main reservation is the weight of the things!

Thanks for the advice, chaps!