Why become a member? ×

another 4 / 5 string thread

lojo

Like we really need another

I brought a cheap but excellent Yamaha BBn5 (£120) to see how I got on with 5s after years of getting comfortable on 4s. I was having to take 2 basses to cover a tribute set which has some songs that needed d tuning. I forced myself to gig the bass and get over the fear of the 5 . I can really fool around on the 4 without worrying so the 5 was restrictive at start with.

Done a handful of gigs on it and another one on saturday. Ive considered the 4s again, but this time its not the hassle of D tuning urging me to take the 5 , its that I have actually gelled with an alien and cheap instrument (compared to the cost of my 4s) and got into being able to play lower 5ths and different positions on songs that don't really need the B , if used sparingly it can really add something.

Now I keep looking at 5 strings in the for sales , do I really need to upgrade something that has won me over like that ?

Well if you are comfortable with the sound feel playability why change it ?
Maybe try other fivers if possible to see what you think. Honestly once you get on the buying basses to try train its a bit of an addictive thing that often becomes chasing something that either doesn't exist or you already have. Or had.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1458771926' post='3010850']
This from someone who went from 2 basses for 20 odd years to 22 basses once stumbling across basschat! It's a slippery slope!
[/quote]

Ha , hope you enjoyed the journey

I'm only talking about the 2nd hand market , where loses are minimal , it's almost like rental trying different basses that are for sale on here .

Just when I had a couple of perfect 4s , this comes along to change things :)

I've owned 4, 5, 6, 8 & 12 string basses over the years but for the past few years I've only played 4 strings so I bought a Yamaha BB425 to find out if I wanted to get back into playing a 5 string. Once I did I bought my BB1025. The 425 was a fantastic bass but the 1025 is so much better to me in terms of fit and finish and sound.

Now I've decided that due to a number of factors I'm going back to a 4 string again so the 425 has been sold and the 1025 is for sale now.

I don't think that you can really go wrong with Yamahas. Haven't really heard much about the RBX series but the BBs seem to get great reviews across the board.

At the end of the day, as has been said before, if you're happy with your BBN5 then stick with it but if you want to get something better then go for it.

Prior to about 2006 I had 3 basses. I joined Talkbass in 2006 and Basschat in 2007 and since then I've had well over 100 now. Not at the same time, I think I may have had 7 at one point but generally I have 2 at any one time

If you can see the benefits of playing a 5 string bass and can make playing one work for you, I'd go out and get the best one you can afford.

I'd recommend you try Mike Lull and Lakland basses. These instruments improved my playing no end.