Why become a member? ×

Grades

TheDarkReaver

[quote name='TheDarkReaver' post='290315' date='Sep 23 2008, 08:48 PM']So I fancy trying to get some official grades, in the hope that it'll put me on the path of getting the theory down. However, looking at the site they don't seem to have grades for Bass guitar, even though I've heard of people taking them.

So do they exist? Do they just make you take the ones for guitar?[/quote]

Thet do exist, try the ABRSM, or The Associate Board of the Royal School of Music. Think they do them.

Of course some people will say The Ox never had any grades, or Jaco...

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='290333' date='Sep 23 2008, 09:10 PM']Of course some people will say The Ox never had any grades, or Jaco...[/quote]

True, but they're something I want to do.

Also that was my first board of call, I can't see anything on their website syllabus list.

Edited by TheDarkReaver

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='290333' date='Sep 23 2008, 09:10 PM']Thet do exist, try the ABRSM, or The Associate Board of the Royal School of Music. Think they do them.

Of course some people will say The Ox never had any grades, or Jaco...[/quote]

There's already a massive thread debating the use of learning theory, lets not start the discussion all over again :)

I'm studying for RGT Grade 3 at the mo,very enjoyable it is too.
Rock school also do bass exams.
With rock school you can do straight grade exams or played performance type exams.
Click [url="http://rockschool.co.uk/rsl/index.aspx?pageID=174"]Lets Rock [/url] for the webby.
hope this helps. :)

Edited by kennyrodg

I found the RGT exams and processes to be progressive and well constructed on the whole. I have just completed grade 8 and found it was a good way in the little time I have, to practice at home and focus my playing whilst picking up some of the theory behind my playing. I had been playing many years prior to thinking about grades but felt it was something I wanted to do in order to develop a further knowledge of the instrument, but to also give me a few more tools in my armoury. Go for it.

On a seperate note I would like to continue my progression but can't find a diploma or something similar to enrol on that will allow distant/part-time learning. Has anybody any ideas on this?

Cheers

Mark

When I did Grade 5 theory in the 80's, the Associated Board textbook was a little red book which covered Grades 1-8.

Nowadays, they've split the book into 2 parts "The AB Guide to Music Theory" parts 1 & 2. Part 1 takes Grades 1-5, costs about £5 and is widely available (price from Amazon). It's a good book and a good place to start if you want to know more about music theory.

Can I suggest deferring any discussion about whether X player studied theory or not, and focus on providing information and experience of theory courses and exams.

I completed grade 8 ABRSM theory many years ago and found it a wholly enlightening experience, and my playing of any instrument (both in terms of skill and enjoyment) have increased as a result. The ABRSM workbooks and sample papers are cheap and excellent. My 9 year old recently did the grade 1 exam, scoring 98%! It has reactivated his interest in the piano.

I'd say do it, and I thoroughly recommend the Associated Board. Get a teacher if you need one, but read the books and do the sample papers yourself first. And feel free to PM me with any questions.

Martin.

Grades definitely are good way to focus your practice, particularly if you are pushed for time. By using a syllabus, you have a pre-prepared set of goals and achievements, which, for someone with as little self-discipline as me, is easier to stick to then creating one's own practice objectives.

And if you want to spend the money, you can take the test, just to prove to yourself that you can do it. And get a nice certificate, of course. :)

If you are interested in theory, the AB Guide to Music Theory is definitely a good place to start. If you find that interesting, then maybe have a crack at some of the theory grade papers.