Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton PB-50 - Modded! *Audio*

discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1458046851' post='3004158']
Here we go, then... the audio clip suits the bass mod really well in that it was a bit rushed, I got impatient and the whole thing would have been much better had I taken my time and done it properly... :lol: It's a bit noodly, but you should get an idea of what the bass sounds like. 2 minutes.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/mark-smith-908669702/hb-audio-2"]https://soundcloud.c...9702/hb-audio-2[/url]

Bass DI through an Edirol UA5 Audio Interface into FL Studio 12.
No FX except for light compression and a little reverb on the intro.
[/quote]

I have been listening to that clip a few times right now... addictive. As usual, I just love your playing and that bass sounds great in your hands. I sold my CV50s Precision last year, but I've been having GAS for another bass of this kind to use with flats, and this has convinced me to get an HB when I actually decide to get a bass...

anyway, thank you again for a great thread and lovely sounds! :)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1497003054' post='3315190']
So the Thomann website currently says the pickup is "Pickup system: Roswell VTN4 Vista Alnico-5 PB-style single coil", is that a rebranded Wilkinson or have they changed it?
[/quote]

It's not a rebranded Wilkinson - more's the pity - Roswell are part of WSC Music who are based in the far east. I've just bought another HB for modding purposes and noticed the change.

It doesn't sound that bad through my system, but it's difficult to tell as the stock HB strings are pretty ropey to be honest. But I don't like the look of the pup, it has really large pole pieces that are not in keeping with the vibe of the 50s look.

I'm going to upgrade the pickup.

Edited by discreet

Got a hand-wound Herrick Alnico 5 pickup on order... apparently very close to Leo's original 51 pup, so I'm sure I'll be happy with that.

[url="https://www.herrickpickups.com/products/tele-51-bass-single-coil/"]https://www.herrickp...ss-single-coil/[/url]

Also going to install Fender Mex RW wiring, pots and cap which will help a lot and have already fitted this threaded-barrel bridge which I like to use on more or less everything... another pickguard sprayed Ivory White will be fitted, and I've Scotchbrited the body to take the gloss off. Don't want it looking [i]too [/i]new, do we..?

I've finished reshaping the headstock with the help of a template and will be tinting the neck over the weekend so as to be ready for the new pickup which is being delivered on Monday. Then it's on with the Fender 9050M Flats and I should be able to post pics of the finished item early next week. :)

The necks on these are fantastic, so I'm hoping it'll be a really nice-sounding player that I don't have to be too precious about.

I already had a lot of the stuff from my last effort and a few other bits that were hanging around, so the total cost was for the bass, postage and pickup: £145. Plus a lot of faffing about with spray cans, hacksaw, sandpaper, micro-mesh, and on and on...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1503076538' post='3355565']
Looking good. Still preferred the gold scratchplate though :D
[/quote]

Couldn't find the gold paint! ;) It was your kindly-donated template I used for the headstock, thanks. :)

Edited by discreet

A few more upgrade bits and pieces on their way, specifically this Tele '51' single-coil Alnico 5 pickup which arrived from Martin Herrick this morning. It's a lovely thing, retro phenol flatwork - nice vintage vibe. Looking forward to hearing it.

Version 2.0 is just about done, have moved it to this thread:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/310692-hb-pb-50-modded-v20-new-clip/

Edited by discreet

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1503669352' post='3360182']
Haha, no rush Davie. Cheers matey.
[/quote] Shamed myself into action Lewis. Template transfered to MDF, just warming up the saw now. Will be posted tomorrow.

edit

No longer shamed :-) Cut,shaped and sanded .
[attachment=252109:PB-50 template.JPG]

Edited by kodiakblair

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1503675440' post='3360256']
Shamed myself into action Lewis. Template transfered to MDF, just warming up the saw now. Will be posted tomorrow.

edit

No longer shamed :-) Cut,shaped and sanded .
[attachment=252109:PB-50 template.JPG]
[/quote]

Legend, that's what you are Davie!