Why become a member? ×

Andrew Gouche with Gladys Knight, 1995

tobiewharton

[quote name='tobiewharton' timestamp='1457648931' post='3000722']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YxlOy2JOyg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YxlOy2JOyg[/url]

The real deal.
[/quote]

Indeed!

Great clip, I always get choked up when I see these gifted artist. She's one of those artists that owns it. I mean she makes it look so easy.

I remember seeing her when she was in her 20s.

She's one of my favorites and in my opinion, underrated.

Blue

Edited by blue

I was disappointed by the musicality and taste in this clip.

The band is fantastically tight and I love the passion of gospel players...but Andrew Gouche overplays hideously and the bass is the loudest instrument in the mix. Same thing happens when he is with Chaka Khan and the barrage of notes distracts from the singer and the song. On the second track 'You're The Best Thing' It sounded like he was straining to keep his fingerbeasts under control. It seems like he's the MD too because the arrangements for the band, with all the syncopated stop starts are as cheesy as Ronnie Hazelhurst's interludes at the Royal Variety Performance.

Gouche may have the name but he can't hold a candle to lesser known players like Sharay Reed and Maurice Fitzgerald musically (although when Sharay steps out from behind a bass, his song writing is cheesy too).

+1 ^^^^
Love Gladys Knight, but hate the overblown arrangements killing some amazing tunes.
That thing where every subtle little accent is hammered into the ground makes for very
tedious listening IMO. The original versions are so much better, where the playing
and arrangements go to serve and enhance the songs.
YMMV.

At this level it's pointless to just rehash the records. That's what cover bands do. The artists live show has to be so much more. Dynamics and arrangement do this. The arrangements and performances fit GK and the songs like a glove.

Count me as a fan of this "overblown", exciting and lively style of playing and performance.

Agree with you about the live show's requirements, but not at the expense of the song or the groove.
Bob Babbit's original lines on 'Midnight train to Georgia' are so sublime. Certainly not pedestrian but
just so right for the vocal and overall arrangement.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1457695660' post='3001004']
At this level it's pointless to just rehash the records. That's what cover bands do. The artists live show has to be so much more. Dynamics and arrangement do this. The arrangements and performances fit GK and the songs like a glove.

Count me as a fan of this "overblown", exciting and lively style of playing and performance.
[/quote]

Count me too, the lady is golden.

Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1457695660' post='3001004']

[/quote]

Absolutely.