Why become a member? ×

Daisy Chaining your Darkglasses!

Dood

Does anyone have more than one DarkGlass pedal and use them running one in to another? Especially looking at a pair of Vintage pedals or say a BxK and a Vintage. Also, if you have a boost pedal such as a compressor or eq before it, I'd like to hear what the increased gain settings sound like.

Anyone seen any video demos?

Better still, Douglas, can I borrow a few pedals to test the theory myself??

Cheers all,

Darkglass pedals work incredibly well together. I have gone B3K>B7K, B7K>B7K, Vintage>B3K, Vintage>B7K, Vintage DLX>B7K.... you get the picture!

They all compliment each other wonderfully.

[quote name='Alien' timestamp='1457213118' post='2996485']

Why would you want to hook up several pairs of shades???? ;p

A
[/quote]

Well,

When you get up in the morning and the light is hurt your head
The first thing you do when you get up out of bed
Is hit that street a-runnin' and try to meet the masses
And go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah

A
[/quote]

Well,

When I wake up in the morning, love
And the sunlight hurts my eyes
And something without warning, love
Bears heavy on my mind

A
[/quote]

Well,

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses ..

Thank you for all the responses so far, this is great to hear. I think I'm likely to go for either a Vintage or Vintage Deluxe and use the TC SpectraComp Bass Compressor with it. Just trying to decide which to go for!!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1457268203' post='2996832']
Thank you for all the responses so far, this is great to hear. I think I'm likely to go for either a Vintage or Vintage Deluxe and use the TC SpectraComp Bass Compressor with it. Just trying to decide which to go for!!
[/quote]

I have that setup, spectracomp into a vmt deluxe, although I've only just got the spectracomp so haven't played with it much yet. This thread has reminded me I need to have a look at it some more.

What I have found is the spectracomp has transformed my line 6 xt live. The compressor models are rubbish in that unit, the little tc pedal lights it up now though.

Edited by No. 8 Wire

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1457290833' post='2997085']
I have that setup, spectracomp into a vmt deluxe, although I've only just got the spectracomp so haven't played with it much yet. This thread has reminded me I need to have a look at it some more.

What I have found is the spectracomp has transformed my line 6 xt live. The compressor models are rubbish in that unit, the little tc pedal lights it up now though.
[/quote]

The SpectraComp is amazing - the default setting is good, but getting the TonePrint editor on it is - well, there's no bass pedal on the market to touch it's editability ... is that even a word??? Thanks though, I think I need to try that pairing out!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1457291753' post='2997093']

The SpectraComp is amazing - the default setting is good, but getting the TonePrint editor on it is - well, there's no bass pedal on the market to touch it's editability ... is that even a word??? Thanks though, I think I need to try that pairing out!
[/quote]

I haven't go as far as the tone print editor yet. Found any gems amongst the artist tone prints or are you tweaking directly with the parameters?

I've gone straight for the tweaking! I've already owned a good few of TC's other compressors including the Triple C, C300 and Nova Dynamics, so I couldn't wait to see if the SC could match those three - which are all triple-band comps too. I also own the HyperGravity which is great too and have saved a few patches on it already. There's so much flexibility, I've even managed to get the HG to act like a compressor AND EQ for some great 'valve amp' feel. Coupling it to a drive that remains tight in the lows and doesn't sound flubby is going to be a great match.

I will try out the downloadable TonePrints too soon and will report back!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1457304725' post='2997285']
I've gone straight for the tweaking! I've already owned a good few of TC's other compressors including the Triple C, C300 and Nova Dynamics, so I couldn't wait to see if the SC could match those three - which are all triple-band comps too. I also own the HyperGravity which is great too and have saved a few patches on it already. There's so much flexibility, I've even managed to get the HG to act like a compressor AND EQ for some great 'valve amp' feel. Coupling it to a drive that remains tight in the lows and doesn't sound flubby is going to be a great match.

I will try out the downloadable TonePrints too soon and will report back!
[/quote]

I still haven't tried out the toneprints or tweaked anything, however I'm getting a lot of noise with the Spectracomp past 12 o'clock on the standard setting, obviously this is because of the amount of gain introduced to offset the higher compression, but still its there. Be interested if you found a tweak that sorted that out. Although Its not a massive problem as I can't see myself using the TC past 12-1 o'clock much anyway.

Had a go with the VMTD last night, I found the Spectracomp neither added anything nor took it away from the pedal, which I think is a good thing. I was expecting the extra gain to have some effect, but it didn't really (apart from being louder for the same level setting obviously).

However, because the Line 6 XT Live is so much more usable with the spectracomp, it has convinced me I don't really need the VMTD. Now the XT is working well for recording I'm not really going to need it, very expensive pedal to have on the shelf, so now in the for sale section.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey dood,

I run my Wals into the Symmetry, then into and MXR bass envelope, then into the Darkglass Vintage, into the B3K and then into an MXR Bass Chorus and a Carbon copy.
Formerly I also had a Duality in front of the Vintage, but that was just too much going into a Mesa Walkabout w/ two 1x15" Diesel cabs ... I found that pairing the vintage with the b3k is the way to go for me and my (Rock)band.
ta
Oliver

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1457357351' post='2997659']
I still haven't tried out the toneprints or tweaked anything, however I'm getting a lot of noise with the Spectracomp past 12 o'clock on the standard setting, obviously this is because of the amount of gain introduced to offset the higher compression, but still its there. Be interested if you found a tweak that sorted that out. Although Its not a massive problem as I can't see myself using the TC past 12-1 o'clock much anyway.

[/quote]

I spotted a firmware update for the SpectraComp that includes a tweaked default program. If you haven't tried that, then grab it first. - The answer is yes though, like any effects unit, the standard program will never suit everyone. (Which is no different from analogue pedals either and thats why we buy so many!!) - but I found with minimal tweaking of the threshold, ratio and level settings I could get the pedal to give me what I want.

The thing to remember though is that with the multiband compression, your ear will tell you that the signal is less compressed than it is verses full band compression which is way more obvious at the same settings. Thus, you may raise the noise floor by upping the 'levels' so that the pedal sounds like a squeezy full band comp. If that's the effect you are after, then I would seek out a full band compression TonePrint rather than the 3 band types :)

Well, an update - I've grabbed a DarkGlass Vintage Deluxe from a lovely chap here on Basschat that I am pairing with the TC Spectracomp. I've also got an EBS Billy Sheehan Signature Drive Deluxe here to review, but you're going to have to wait to read my review in Guitar Interactive for that one!