Why become a member? ×

Another Bass Player Wanted Ad Critique

blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1457183746' post='2996101']
However, I kinda think that this is missing the point. If any band has to resort to putting out adverts for musicians that they don’t know, then it is a pretty good indication that they are not plugged into the local circuit and do not have the connections with the local good players (or are not good enough to attract the guys who normally get the better gigs). Most good bands recruit from recommendations from a network of established players who all either know each other or know of each other.
[/quote]

Looks like I've never joined or been in a good band then.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1457183746' post='2996101']
I think that all four of the adverts in the OP are fine – all clear and realistic in what they are looking for and potentially good opportunities (depending on how good they are) for a suitable candidate. Personally, I would not consider Band 1 at the moment as they are not going to play out but if I was too busy in my day job to commit to regular gigging and wanting to keep my hand in, or if I was new to an area and wanting to make connections then they might be ideal. Again, I would have no interest in Band 4 (nor would they be interested in me) but it may well be a perfectly viable band for someone into that type of thing.

However, I kinda think that this is missing the point. If any band has to resort to putting out adverts for musicians that they don’t know, then it is a pretty good indication that they are not plugged into the local circuit and do not have the connections with the local good players (or are not good enough to attract the guys who normally get the better gigs). Most good bands recruit from recommendations from a network of established players who all either know each other or know of each other.
[/quote]

Excellent point, good money making opportunities are never advertised to the general public.

Blue

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1457193423' post='2996242']

Looks like I've never joined or been in a good band then.
[/quote]

Depends in your definition of a good band.

Me, a band with solid good paying gigs with trustworthy honest members is a Good band.

For others a good band might be getting together with friends for fun with no gigs.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1457228874' post='2996600']

Excellent point, good money making opportunities are never advertised to the general public.

Blue
[/quote]
It's not just about money, it could just be a band that is going to play pubs twice a month for fun! But the point remains that IME the best bands rarely advertise in this way, but tend to recruit thru recommendations from a network of their musician mates and friends of friends, etc.

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1457259114' post='2996707']

It's not just about money, it could just be a band that is going to play pubs twice a month for fun! But the point remains that IME the best bands rarely advertise in this way, but tend to recruit thru recommendations from a network of their musician mates and friends of friends, etc.
[/quote]

True, if I find out a band is auditioning friends, I won't audition.

I was burned once where a young guy a friend that didn't even know the audition material and a won over me. Then I found out they let him go because he didn't
have transportation.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1456928510' post='2993645'] I can understand that. I really need to see if there's some musicians who just like Playing in St Ives, Cambs. I was spoiled in leeds and liverpool, you couldn't throw a stone without it bouncing off 2 musicians. [/quote]

There used to be a fairly lively scene at the taproom that might be worth scoping out, also check out the studios at Wyton to see who's looking :)

I'm normally pretty tolerant of poorly phrased adverts but this one made me laugh/shudder:

[i]I'm 27 and living in Northampton, looking for a new band to do get with, jam with and see how sh*t works. Want fame by 30 so no f***king around. Dedicated and motivated, irritated and pissed off necessary.
Drop me a message and well go from there.
Steve[/i]

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1457351696' post='2997555']
I'm normally pretty tolerant of poorly phrased adverts but this one made me laugh/shudder:

[i]I'm 27 and living in Northampton, looking for a new band to do get with, jam with and see how sh*t works. Want fame by 30 so no f***king around. Dedicated and motivated, irritated and pissed off necessary.
Drop me a message and well go from there.
Steve[/i]
[/quote]

It's a good ad from the point of view that you immediately know for sure you'd want nothing to do with him, so it saves time.