Why become a member? ×

Charvel Model 2B question

JonnyScaramanga

There's a Charvel Model 2B on Gumtree for £160. That seems a good price (although Richtone recently [url="http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/charvel_model_2b_bass_mij_80s_bass_guitar_2nd_hand-yother32094.asp"]sold one for £129[/url]), but I don't know much about these basses. My budget is about £250, and I had been on the lookout for an old Japanese Squier Precision (a Silver Series maybe) or a Classic Vibe.

It's nowhere near me, so I'd have to have it shipped down. Obviously buying sight unseen is always a risk, but I found an old Basschat thread where someone had bought a Model 2B for £180 and people were saying it was a good deal, so I expect I wouldn't lose much money if I don't like it.

How does the quality of these Charvels tend to compare with a decent Squire?

[b]EDIT:[/b] Sorry, meant to post this in Basses but put it in the wrong section. Can't see how to move it.

Edited by JonnyScaramanga

Hi Jonny,

It should be an excellent bass, the only reason they are so cheap at the moment is because the pointy headstock look is rather out of fashion, I am sure you will find it an easy match for a Silver Series Squire or a Classic Vibe bass (although the classic vibe is from a different era completely) If you can live with the pointy headstock I am sure you will end up with a cracking bass and, if they ever come back into fashion you will have an original Jap bass which surely at that point will go up in value

I had a Charvel model 1B donkeys years ago and it was a great bass. Really loud and punchy and played great.

I also had a silver series squier P a year later and personally i'd say the charvel was better build and sound, tho the squier was cool and looked a bit more trad obviously!

Both good basses tho.

TimR sums it up. I have had mine from new and use it as a spare too. The build quality is good. I have replaced the original passive pups with some active EMG's which helps with the overall sound. Don't worry about the pointy headstock. It will be a good buy so go for it.

Edited by mep

I take it it`s the one on Glasgow Gumtree? The guy has been trying to shift it for weeks. Nearly bought it myself.

There is a black one for sale in a Glasgow pawn shop but he is looking for £399 for it! But I think there is a US version, possibly with a thru neck, so it may be that or he is just a chancer.

Edited by jezzaboy