Why become a member? ×

Did Leo Fender personally make this G&L.... posthumously?

No. 8 Wire

Strange ebay ad this, it looks to me that the advertiser has misunderstood G&L certificates of authenticity etc (case candy as we know it).

It still looks like an amazing bass (I am a LB100 admirer :gas: ) but I'm not sure even the semi-devine Leo Fender could have made this Bass two years after he died.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331788286226?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know this bass (never seen it in the flesh though). In 2014/2015 a BCer going by the name UMEL started a thread about his dad having collected all these basses and guitars and he wanted to sell them to fund his dad's care - so that part of the story is true. I really, really wanted to buy it but he went online, chatted to some people on US forums (bassesbyleo forum I assume) and his asking price was more than what I wanted to pay, in fact higher that what it is in this listing now.

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1456577885' post='2990421']
I know this bass (never seen it in the flesh though). In 2014/2015 a BCer going by the name UMEL started a thread about his dad having collected all these basses and guitars and he wanted to sell them to fund his dad's care - so that part of the story is true. I really, really wanted to buy it but he went online, chatted to some people on US forums (bassesbyleo forum I assume) and his asking price was more than what I wanted to pay, in fact higher that what it is in this listing now.
[/quote]

Is that still a good price for an LB100?

I'm not sure if there is any added value because of the fact this is the 1990s run of it - you sure will struggle to find one in this condition from that period.

If you were to import a new one from the US now, the price according to current exchange rate would be the same or slightly higher but that's before import duty tax and shipping. You would also first need to commission one in this finish/configuration, etc.

If I had the money I would be asking the seller to see and play it first and if it really was in as good a condition as it looks in the photos I'd be getting it. The original photobucket album that the original owner has now removed had sharp detailed photos of this bass where the frets looked like they needed a good polish, they had some greenish/rusty stuff on them, I kept wondering how a bass sitting in its case for years gets that, maybe some humidity? That's why I offered a lower than expected price to factor in the added cost a luthier would charge for setting it up, fretwork, checking the electronics, etc. It was also collection only and the location for me meant a lot of money in train tickets.

If you're near and you're lusting after this truly stunning bass than go for it, I say.

And yeah, Leo had nothing to do with the bass as it was introduced after his death; does not make it any less amazing but still, matter of accuracy in the ad I guess.

I'm not close either unfortunately, luckily really, because I could be tempted and I shouldn't be spending money on this either.

Thanks for giving that back info, I'll just stay an admirer rather than a buyer for now.

Hopefully no-one gets taken in by the Leo Fender reference. It does make the seller look slightly dodgy to my eyes.

If the look of this bass appealed and given that this is local to me, I would have already gone to have a look.

I love G&L's my main gigging basses are 1980's G&L's. This one doesn't do it for me but if you like the colour and you like Precision basses, I'm sure that you wouldn't be disappointed. It's not a bargain price but I think it's a fair price and I would be reasonably happy to pay around that sort of figure for one.

So it seems I have too much time on my hands... I sent the seller a message via evilbay, politely (tried my best, honest ...) challenged the inaccuracies in his ad. Lovely bass but the guy comes across as arrogant and dismissive, slightly patronising too. In two replies to my factual corrections of his spiel he remains convinced all is in order with his ad.

Ok, I'll go now and do something useful with my time, for a change ;)

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Gents, I wish this guy came to this forum with his level of arrogance/ignorance - he would be ripped apart despite this being such a great forum full of good mannered people. He gave me lessons in Harvard research, told me to go to a library, etc., which gave me a couple of hearty laughs out loud when I re-read this bit about himself: "[b]I work in education - I say this as issue of integrity and trust"[/b][/font][/size]