Why become a member? ×

Tokai Jazz Bass- what to look for

briansbrew

Hi Guys

Need some help again, I recently bought this 1980 ish Tokai Jazz bass and noticed right away that the neck pocked was not as tight as it should be so decided to take the neck off to see the pocket.
As you can see the stamp 1997 DEM stamped on the body.
Not having a Tokla before so does anybody have any idea what this might be or what should be stamped there.

The neck looks ok but not great as I think someone was messing around with some lacquer spray near the nut and headstock. There is a plate at the back stamped L45786

Hope these photos help

Thanks in advance guys

[attachment=213363:Tokaibody.JPG][attachment=213364:Tokaiheadstock.JPG]

What sort of tuners are they? While I don't intimately know Tokais, I do know that early 80s examples sometimes had 3-screw, cast body units, with torque-adjusting collars. Similar to the ones used on Yamaha BBs from the same era, apart from the keys.

From what I can see, yours might be this type - I'd doubt that a '97 bass would have these.

Jon.

Hi Jon

Thanks for getting back, It was sold to me as an early eighties Tokai Jazz and when I recieved it I took the neck off and don't understand the stamp mark in the neck pocket. The neck looks to be genuine but the body ??

The tuners have 3 screws and can be tightened by the collars. Is the body a 97 do you think

Brian

Yes, of all the basses I have or ever owned this has to be the worst fitting neck I have seen.

<p>[size=3]

[right][url="http://cgi1.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReportThisItemRedirect&active=0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2566&itemid=351656344704&seller=shawa72"]Report item[/url][/right]

[b] [url=""]Description[/url][/b]

[b] [url=""]Postage and payments[/url][/b]

[font=Verdana !important][size=2]
[color=#767676]
eBay item number:[/color][color=#333333]
351656344704[/color][/size][/font]
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.[color=#333333][size=1]
[size=3]

[b] Item specifics[/b]
Condition: [b]Used[/b] [b]:[/b] [size=1][url=""][/url][/size] Seller notes: [size=5][b]“[/b][/size][size=1]GENERALLY EXCELLANT, SOME MINOR WARE, VINTAGE ITEM, SEE PHOTOS AND DESCRIPTON FOR FULL DETAILS[/size][size=5][b]”[/b][/size] Type: [size=1]Electric Bass[/size] Size: [size=1]4/4[/size] Brand: [size=1]Tokai[/size] Right-/ Left-Handed: [size=1]Right-Handed[/size] MPN: [size=1]Does Not Apply[/size] No. of Strings: [size=1]4 string[/size] EAN: [size=1]Does not apply[/size] [/size][/size][/color]

[b] Questions and answers about this item[/b]

[color=#333333][size=1]
No questions or answers have been posted about this item.[/size][/color][size=3]
[url="http://contact.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowSellerFAQ&iid=351656344704&requested=shawa72&redirect=0&frm=284&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l1499&ssPageName=PageSellerM2MFAQ_VI"]Ask a question[b]- opens in a new window or tab[/b][/url][/size]

[/size][size=3]

[b] Recently viewed items[/b]
[url="http://qu.ebay.co.uk/survey?srvName=merchandising+%28merch1-uk%29&extparam=pageid%3d2047675%26plmtid%3d100037"]Feedback on our suggestions[/url]

[/size]

I'm not an expert but would have to agree the body is from a 90s bass.
I've had the misfortune to have this happen to me.
I was sold a MIJ P bass that had a fake body.
It's very unfortunate but it looks like you have been stitched up as I was.

[quote name='briansbrew' timestamp='1456503986' post='2989792']
Yes, of all the basses I have or ever owned this has to be the worst fitting neck I have seen.

<p>[size=3]

[right][url="http://cgi1.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReportThisItemRedirect&active=0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2566&itemid=351656344704&seller=shawa72"]Report item[/url][/right]

[b] [url=""]Description[/url][/b]

[b] [url=""]Postage and payments[/url][/b]

[font=Verdana !important][size=2]
[color=#767676]
eBay item number:[/color][color=#333333]
351656344704[/color][/size][/font]
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.[color=#333333][size=1]
[size=3]

[b] Item specifics[/b]
Condition: [b]Used[/b] [b]:[/b] [size=1][url=""][/url][/size] Seller notes: [size=5][b]“[/b][/size][size=1]GENERALLY EXCELLANT, SOME MINOR WARE, VINTAGE ITEM, SEE PHOTOS AND DESCRIPTON FOR FULL DETAILS[/size][size=5][b]”[/b][/size] Type: [size=1]Electric Bass[/size] Size: [size=1]4/4[/size] Brand: [size=1]Tokai[/size] Right-/ Left-Handed: [size=1]Right-Handed[/size] MPN: [size=1]Does Not Apply[/size] No. of Strings: [size=1]4 string[/size] EAN: [size=1]Does not apply[/size] [/size][/size][/color]

[b] Questions and answers about this item[/b]

[color=#333333][size=1]
No questions or answers have been posted about this item.[/size][/color][size=3]
[url="http://contact.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowSellerFAQ&iid=351656344704&requested=shawa72&redirect=0&frm=284&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l1499&ssPageName=PageSellerM2MFAQ_VI"]Ask a question[b]- opens in a new window or tab[/b][/url][/size]

[/size][size=3]

[b] Recently viewed items[/b]
[url="http://qu.ebay.co.uk/survey?srvName=merchandising+%28merch1-uk%29&extparam=pageid%3d2047675%26plmtid%3d100037"]Feedback on our suggestions[/url]

[/size]
[/quote]

I had a 'I ought to have a fender' phase a while ago, the upshot being a trip to Bristol and a good look round pmt, virtually every mexican jazz they had on display had a pocket gap big enough to slip a pick in either side, leading me to think they're very hit and miss. The usa models were no better built than my old Tokai, I left with a smile on my face and my money still in my pocket 😊. (The phase has passed)

[quote name='doomed' timestamp='1456511149' post='2989913']
I had a 'I ought to have a fender' phase a while ago, the upshot being a trip to Bristol and a good look round pmt, virtually every mexican jazz they had on display had a pocket gap big enough to slip a pick in either side, leading me to think they're very hit and miss. The usa models were no better built than my old Tokai, I left with a smile on my face and my money still in my pocket . (The phase has passed)
[/quote]

Lucky you

[quote name='doomed' timestamp='1456511149' post='2989913']

I had a 'I ought to have a fender' phase a while ago, the upshot being a trip to Bristol and a good look round pmt, virtually every mexican jazz they had on display had a pocket gap big enough to slip a pick in either side, leading me to think they're very hit and miss. The usa models were no better built than my old Tokai, I left with a smile on my face and my money still in my pocket 😊. (The phase has passed)
[/quote]

Go MIJ for craftsmanship. I've always felt (from my experience) the USA's use the better quality materials whereas the MIJ's use cheaper components but put them together far better.

Post 2012 USA's are supposedly much improved but I've never played one!!