Why become a member? ×

Amp suggestion for 2 4ohm cabs? 500 watts+

Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1456411313' post='2988744']
I remember our Barefaced chats!

I would doubt I'd go for the Carvin I'm afraid. It may be on a level with anything else out there, but it's a case of better the devil you know. If I could get an Orange TB500/1000 or Ashdown ABM900 for the same (or less) money previous experience tells me I'd be happy with them, so the Carvin wouldn't get a look in!
[/quote]

Each to their own - the only thing I would say in defence of the Carvin is that I've tried to lift a ABM900 and the Carvin is a feather in comparison. I imagine the Orange stuff is heavy too. I was going for compact and light (due to back problems) which is what sent me down that route. There doesn't seem to be many on BC that use Carvin amps (a very generalised sweeping comment based on my limited reading here), but I'm very happy with mine!

EDIT: Good luck in your search - I'd be interested to hear what you do go for in the end.

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1456411313' post='2988744']
I remember our Barefaced chats!

I would doubt I'd go for the Carvin I'm afraid. It may be on a level with anything else out there, but it's a case of better the devil you know. If I could get an Orange TB500/1000 or Ashdown ABM900 for the same (or less) money previous experience tells me I'd be happy with them, so the Carvin wouldn't get a look in!
[/quote]
[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1456412842' post='2988775']
Each to their own - the only thing I would say in defence of the Carvin is that I've tried to lift a ABM900 and the Carvin is a feather in comparison. I imagine the Orange stuff is heavy too. I was going for compact and light (due to back problems) which is what sent me down that route. There doesn't seem to be many on BC that use Carvin amps (a very generalised sweeping comment based on my limited reading here), but I'm very happy with mine!

EDIT: Good luck in your search - I'd be interested to hear what you do go for in the end.
[/quote]

Another very happy Carvin user, and having had the chance to use the Orange Terror a few times at jam nights I can honestly say I'd rate the Carvin way above it.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1456412842' post='2988775']

[/quote]

Oh totally - wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same!

Weight isn't a massive concern at the minute. But it would be weird to have an amp that weighs more than your cabs. As in weighs more than 2 retro 2x10s - only weight I can find for the ABM900 online is 28kg... the retros weigh 13kg!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1456413632' post='2988787']
Another very happy Carvin user, and having had the chance to use the Orange Terror a few times at jam nights I can honestly say I'd rate the Carvin way above it.
[/quote]

Horses for courses and all that!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1456414003' post='2988795']
Get Ashdown to make you an ABM2000 - it's got two 1000W class D power amps in it :)
[/quote]

Can't imagine Mr Gooday would part with one of those for 400 bills!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1456413876' post='2988792']

Weight isn't a massive concern at the minute. But it would be weird to have an amp that weighs more than your cabs. As in weighs more than 2 retro 2x10s - only weight I can find for the ABM900 online is 28kg... the retros weigh 13kg!

[/quote]

Ha ha, I'm genuinely not a salesman for Carvin - but.....

One more point I thought of is that I regularly gig with one cab on its side with the Carvin on top, if the room is boomy or I need it a bit closer to my ears. It is a nice fit - but I image a ABM900 or similar would look silly (and possibly dangerous) in that config.

Ok - that's it now - I'll stop banging on about it now :)

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1456413876' post='2988792']

[/quote]

Would have suggested you get to hear one before making your mind up, but they're pretty thin on the ground, so can't imagine much chance of finding one in Ballymena!!

No it would have to be in a horizontal configuration with the ABM, which is the same width as the retro cab! Same configuration with a hartke although it'd only overhang a little with the cabs vertical - just enough to annoy my dormant OCD like my Ashdown CTM30 does at the minute! With the Orange you could go either way.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1456414694' post='2988807']

Would have suggested you get to hear one before making your mind up, but they're pretty thin on the ground, so can't imagine much chance of finding one in Ballymena!!
[/quote]

Virtually nil... I say that but you'd be surprised! Dingwalls, Genz Benz and Tecamp used to abound around here (as in I and Black Coffee have had some mighty gear in our time). I could even point you to the location of a pre-CBS P bass not 200 yards from my in-laws... And I know of a virtually unplayed 60s jazz in burgundy mist with matching headstock in the town. Somebody's little nestegg...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1456471193' post='2989284']
There's a GK 2001 RB for sale on here. I'm pretty sure it can do 2 x 4 ohm cabs as it has 2 channels.
[/quote]

Yes, but it's over budget. Budget of £400 absolute max.

If it helps, I have got two BF 2x12 cabs. I use a Hartke LH1000. I rarely use both cabs together as really there is no need. Even bigger festival gigs don't warrant it because a) LH1000 with one Supertwin is massive anyway and B) bigger set ups tend to have good stage monitoring systems. Sometimes though I do it...just because I can!