Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tuning peg problems

Spoonman

Hi everyone,

So I've been looking into buying some lightweight tuning pegs for my Gibson Grabber, leaning towards Hipshot Ultralites at the moment, but if anyone could recommend anything else they like better, please do.

Anyway that's not why I'm writing this. The bass currently has some old Schaller tuners, and when I removed them to check what size lightweight tuners I'll need, I found that half of the mechanism has been superglued in. Hopefully these photos show what I mean...

[attachment=213063:IMG_20150908_150201.jpg]

[attachment=213064:IMG_20150908_150220.jpg]

[attachment=213065:IMG_20150908_150227.jpg]

I'll need to get this part out in order to put the new tuners in obviously, but I've no idea how to do that. Is there some sort of solvent that might seep into the cracks and get rid of the glue? Or will I just have to bash them out with some sort of hammer and chisel scenario? Any ideas anyone?

Cheers in advance!

Edited by Spoonman

[quote name='Spoonman' timestamp='1456189190' post='2986529']
Hi everyone,

So I've been looking into buying some lightweight tuning pegs for my Gibson Grabber, leaning towards Hipshot Ultralites at the moment, but if anyone could recommend anything else they like better, please do.

Anyway that's not why I'm writing this. The bass currently has some old Schaller tuners, and when I removed them to check what size lightweight tuners I'll need, I found that half of the mechanism has been superglued in. Hopefully these photos show what I mean...

[attachment=213063:IMG_20150908_150201.jpg]

[attachment=213064:IMG_20150908_150220.jpg]

[attachment=213065:IMG_20150908_150227.jpg]

I'll need to get this part out in order to put the new tuners in obviously, but I've no idea how to do that. Is there some sort of solvent that might seep into the cracks and get rid of the glue? Or will I just have to bash them out with some sort of hammer and chisel scenario? Any ideas anyone?

Cheers in advance!
[/quote]

No hammer or chisel lol.

Superglue can be easy or a right pain.

Use a socket that fits in the hole but on top of the bushing hit it with a hammer gently at first then with more force but first use some superglue remover to help loosen the glue. Then if need use a rounded file on the inside of the hole.

Edited by Twincam

If it's truly glued in, you need to guard against breaking out the front of the wood on the other side. You can try the method above, but a trip to a local metal engineering works could be a good idea. They can use a milling machine to drill it out. It might cost a few quid, but we'll less than a new neck if you were to wreck it.

Or you could just leave the bushes in and fit some new tuner pegs

For lightweight have you checked Gotoh Resolites?
I prefer them.
Edit: They're available in nickel finish so after a while will take on the same patina as your bushes.

Edited by Twigman

Thanks for your quick responses guys. I've actually just managed to hammer them out using the socket idea - no glue at all as it turns out! (DUH!)

Okay great, I shall have a look into those Gotoh tuners as well. Cheers everyone!

I like the Gotoh Machine heads too. The Resolites are on a par with the Hipshit Ultralites but the GB 707 are only a little heavier yet much lower cost,

The difference is that the GB 707s have metal tuning buttons and the Resolites have (epoxy) resin.

If you go Hipshot, make sure you get 1/2 spindles. Some are 3/8 and that would mean a lot of drilling and filling in the headstock.

Edited by Chienmortbb