Why become a member? ×

Seymour Duncan SCPB1 vs SCPB2 vs SCPB3

MarkG3

Years of messing about with basses has taught me that the answer to the question, and most others, is 'you won't know until you try'. There are too many variables relating to personal taste, current equipment and gig etc, for anyone else's opinion to hold sway with any degree of reliability. Keep an eye out for a used model, if you don't like it, sell it on for what you paid.

Or be an idiot like me and convince yourself that the most expensive custom overwound model is by definition the best:)

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1456268809' post='2987360']
I believe Sting has the SCPB1 in his '57 P.
[/quote]
I think Sting uses a stacked single coil like this - http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/51-p-bass-stack/
(interview here - http://www.sting.com/news/article/4194)

Edited by ikay

The stacked is interesting, my problem with that is I like running the pickup really low so the strings and pick don't hit them so not sure with the stacked if I could get it low enough. So understood that everyone's take will be different and different styles etc but out of the three which has the most bass/low mids with the least treble?

[quote name='MarkG3' timestamp='1456417441' post='2988844']
The stacked is interesting, my problem with that is I like running the pickup really low so the strings and pick don't hit them so not sure with the stacked if I could get it low enough. So understood that everyone's take will be different and different styles etc but out of the three which has the most bass/low mids with the least treble?
[/quote]

Without knowing about those pups in particular it should be fairly simple. The more turns in the coil the greater the impedance and the more that will cut your treble. The more turns the greater the output and the greater the DC resistance so just go for the one with the highest impedance/resistance. Of course you may find you don't want it that dark but the only way of telling is to try.