Why become a member? ×

Does Anyone Own A Phil Jones Combo?

discreet

I currently own a Super Flightcase - 250w with 6 x 5" speakers. I used to own a Phil Jones 16B + 8T combination driven by a 2000w rack amp. I wanted the same sound in a MUCH more portable package.

I don't play gigs where I need that kind of power anymore. I mostly do small acoustic sessions where I'm playing with unamplified musicians and I'm turned way down, or I'm running through the PA and just using my amp for a stage monitor with the lowest stage volumes possible.

While the combo doesn't have the super low end of the big cabinets, it is certainly sufficient for my needs. And although I wouldn't call it light, I can carry all my equipment in one trip - bass in one hand, amp in the other.

For its intended purpose, I haven't found anything better.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to report that i've done my first gig with my PJB briefcase (100W in two 4'' ceramic drivers), and loved it. I had the combo up on a small box (bout 5 inches up), foot and a half away from the back wall, with me almost directly in front of it. I played about one hour on double bass (piezo pickup, straight into the amp with no preamp), and then another half an hour of the T40. Very clean tone, especially nice with the DB. Personal monitoring was ok, but the sound was nice and rich further away into the crowd (ok, modest group) of punters. Volume was up to about 2/3 of the way, eq had a boost in the mids for clarity and personal monitoring. All i had to do when switching bass was to turn on the input padding and lower (!) the volume a little.

Clearly not good if you do detuned sludge metal, but for funk/rock and swing it's great. Next time i'll have it even further up, or tilt it upwards for even better monitoring.

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1460366676' post='3024925']
Just to report that I've done my first gig with my PJB Briefcase...
[/quote]

Very useful, thanks for that. Did a gig last night with a band whose upright player used an Acoustic Energy amp with a Berg 1X12, and that sounded very good. Not a combo of course, but still... great sound.

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1460374279' post='3025046']
The added bonus i forgot to mention is that the combo is small, and I managed to fit it between the keys stand and the hi hat pedal :)
[/quote]

This is the whole reason for the OP as my current band is relatively quiet, we are a five-piece and the crap end of the London pub and club scene has some [i]very [/i]tight stages. I'm using a Rumble 500 Combo, which is hardly big or heavy, but it can be unwieldy. It does have the advantage of doubling as a seat if we're particularly up against it space-wise. But generally I'd like something smaller and lighter without sacrificing power and tone.

It all depends on how loud your drummer and guitarists are, ultimately. The PJB briefcase doesn't do deep lows at high volume, and its speakers are very close to the ground, so it works better for you if you lift it up somehow. Great for small spaces and sensible drummers :)

Currently running a GK MB500 and two Markbass NY121 cabs and loving it. Could easily just run the GK with one cab and have sufficient volume but the extra cab does seem to fill out the sound a bit. Very compact footprint as well - touch under 40cm wide and 36cm deep.

Rumble 500:[list]
[*][size=1]Depth[/size]: 14" (35.56 cm)
[*][size=1]Width[/size]: 19" (485 mm)
[*][size=1]Height[/size]: 23" (58.42 cm)
[*][size=1]Weight[/size]: 36.5 lbs. (16.56 kg)
[/list]

Rumble 200:[list]
[*][size=1]Width[/size]: 19" (485 mm)
[*][size=1]Height[/size]: 23" (58.42 cm)
[*][size=1]Weight[/size]: 34.5 lbs. (15.65 kg)
[/list]

Rumble 100:[list]
[*][size=1]Width[/size]: 16.5" (41.91 cm)
[*][size=1]Height[/size]: 18.5" (46.99 cm)
[*][size=1]Weight[/size]: 22 lbs. (9.97 kg)
[/list]

So, no point in going for a Rumble 200 - same dimensions and only 1kg lighter; whereas the 100 is 2.5in narrower, 4.5in shorter, and only 60% of the weight of the 500. I think you mentioned somewhere there were no drums to compete with, so assuming the sound is there, sounds like a winner to me (especially at £240).

Thanks for all the info and suggestions! I'm not sure that Phil Jones is the way to go, for me... so I've decided to keep the Rumble 500 (which I can pair with my 400W/8ohm BFM J12 cab if and when necessary), and have bought an Ampeg PF350 which will be affixed atop a Barefaced One10, which has been ordered. If I need more beans in future I can either use the Rumble rig with or without ext cab, or buy another One10. The PF350 at 4ohms through two One10s is going to be a fairly loud rig and still very portable.

But having enjoyed the many advantages of a drummerless band, I'd be reluctant to join any band of any genre that had a drummer who can't (or won't) rein it in when necessary... who knows, a single One10 may be sufficient on its own anyway. I'm certainly looking forward to hauling a 200W rig that is 11 x 11 x 18" and weighs 10.6kg (23lbs) in total. We'll see. :)

Edited by discreet