Why become a member? ×

Advice needed on the best effects chain set up (electronica, D&B & dub step flavours)

Raslee

New project underway and need FX. So incoming I have a Moog Low pass (MF101) & exp pedal, source audio manta and hot hand, Line 6 M5 & source audio orbital. Already have a Zoom B3, Boss LS2, Chord Octave (bit like the OC2), Joyo Dyna compressor, GLX bass eq, JamMan Stereo (mainly for samples), Jim Dunlop bass wah, Zoom B2, Behringer reverb & lovely EBS Valvedrive....oh and 2 more expression pedals. Certainly more than enough FX to get me going I'm sure for an electronica adventure (aka Nerve, Submotion Orchestra etc).

So, of the above fx what would you use, and what chain sequence? I've already got some tasty synth and sub sounds in the B3 to get me going. I have also had fun researching John Davies (Nerve) and Fatty Hargreaves (Submotion) who appear to be pioneers in this stuff but I'd welcome suggestions of other players, and/or band recommendations to checkout... Big fan of live D&B like Breakbeat Era....what happened to them ? :) Thanks in advance.

Edited by Raslee

Ẁell the clasic (if there can be such a thing) synth sound from bass guitar is octave/synth pedal > fuzz > filter. use an expression/hothand to control the filter for sweeps.
Alot of the fun in effects is in playing about with settings/order. Id use the example i gave above and work around from that.

Edited by elephantgrey

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1455482613' post='2979531']
Ẁell the clasic (if there can be such a thing) synth sound from bass guitar is octave/synth pedal > fuzz > filter. use an expression/hothand to control the filter for sweeps.
Alot of the fun in effects is in playing about with settings/order. Id use the example i gave above and work around from that.
[/quote]
Brilliant thanks for that. I guess the synth & fuzz I can do on the B3 and have the Moog at the end of the chain, perhaps with eq after. I wonder is there any benefit to have my compressor at the start of the chain for a clean signal in? although I wouldn't use it all the time I guess. Also thinking of putting the eq at the end to control the overall mix. Also wondering if a crossover of some description is called for to send the subby sounds to FOH and not trash my speakers.

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1455483932' post='2979548']
Brilliant thanks for that. I guess the synth & fuzz I can do on the B3 and have the Moog at the end of the chain, perhaps with eq after. I wonder is there any benefit to have my compressor at the start of the chain for a clean signal in? although I wouldn't use it all the time I guess. Also thinking of putting the eq at the end to control the overall mix. Also wondering if a crossover of some description is called for to send the subby sounds to FOH and not trash my speakers.
[/quote]

I do find that a compressor at the start of the chain helps tracking for synth/octave effects. A crossover is definitely worth playing with.

I saw Breakbeat Era live, was probably year 2000 and not heard of them since! Might be worth getting an SFX Thumpinator to filter out the subsonic rumble going to your rig, especially if you have some resonant low pass filters going on!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1455488056' post='2979603']
I saw Breakbeat Era live, was probably year 2000 and not heard of them since! Might be worth getting an SFX Thumpinator to filter out the subsonic rumble going to your rig, especially if you have some resonant low pass filters going on!
[/quote] Yes I saw them around then at the Scala in London, was a great gig. Good idea on the SFX but I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells them....I'll keep googling- thanks again :)

Edited by Raslee

If you can, split your signal, have 1 side going through good fx for the low sub sounds & have the other side going through the dirt, lpf & whatever else.
I had mine in a vaguely similar order to what Mr Grey suggests (though split signals) & it was great for DnB/electronica.

Chorus on one of the channels is good for movement too.

Have fun playing about. :)

Yeah I split my signal. One channel only has an OC-2 in it, the other has the potentially less bass-friendly stuff in it (synths, dirt, sample rate reduction), and the two are combined in a 2-channel mixer with separate level controls and a stomp switch to activate/bypass each channel (but both switches are close enough to be easily switched simultaneously with one stomp) provided by Max at SFX.

The OC-2 channel is basically my get-out-of-jail-free channel, because whatever is going on in the other channel, I can blend it either with the OC-2 out with clean bass, so the other channel can get as wild as it likes and the low end will still be there.