Why become a member? ×

gig problem! drummer problems?!

mrhectic

[b]well, we've managed to get our very first london gig! and we were all ready and hyped up for it, but just recently, our drummer has said he cant do it!?!?!

What do we do! we can either find someone to fill in, even thought its so short notice, and i doubt a new drummer will have enough time to get use to the songs (just a week away from the gig), or cancel it, which i myself do not want to do!

cancelling with such short notice probably wont get us another gig there either.[/b]

[quote name='mrhectic' post='287975' date='Sep 20 2008, 01:42 PM'][b]well, we've managed to get our very first london gig! and we were all ready and hyped up for it, but just recently, our drummer has said he cant do it!?!?!

What do we do! we can either find someone to fill in, even thought its so short notice, and i doubt a new drummer will have enough time to get use to the songs (just a week away from the gig), or cancel it, which i myself do not want to do!

cancelling with such short notice probably wont get us another gig there either.[/b][/quote]

Tell him he's playing or he's out the band.

If the gig's important or particularly well-paid, hire a session drummer. Some will do it for as little as £50-100. Plenty on sites like musofinder, gumtree etc

If you go that route bang 'em a recording of your set and have a rhsal with them the day before.....

Drop any particularly difficult or weird songs and stretch the others a little with extended drum intros, breakdowns in the middle, "put yer hands together" (if you're that sort of band), audience chat. You should have no difficulty persuading your guitarist to double the length of any solos...

Venue won't notice if you come in 5 mins under...then start looking for another drummer, just in case this happens again...

[b]Its kind of hard because he texted us saying he wont be able to do it, and we phoned him back saying we'll meet up and discuss it. the next day his mobile was off, so we got the impression he doesnt want to do the band anymore? or maybe we're just looking to deep into it?

any how, our guitarist is going to pop into his work tommorrow as he should be there and try persuade him to do this one gig, and then if he was to leave he can. its all quite confusing. lol [/b]

[quote name='mrhectic' post='287999' date='Sep 20 2008, 02:27 PM'][b]well, its not well paid. but its our first london gig so im guessing its pretty important for us? we've never gigged outside our home town!

thanks for the suggession...a session drummer might have to be our only choice.[/b][/quote]

What reason has your drummer given for not doin it? is it nerves or is he a slacker?

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='288040' date='Sep 20 2008, 03:41 PM']What reason has your drummer given for not doin it? is it nerves or is he a slacker?[/quote]

i know this is gunna sound stupid. but he said that his house has got a bug infestation, and he has to move house. It sounds unblievable to me too. lol

[b]if me guitarist cant convience him to do it, we'l probably have to.

Althought the venue wants a believable excuse for cancelling (does, 'our drummer has a bug infestation' a believable excuse?! lol), and because its such short notice to cancel the gig, the venue and promoters probably wont want us back.

session drum is a possible option, but probably not worth the hassle and stress.

oh well...i'l see what happens and letl you guys know if it gets cancelled or what not[/b]

Just Get a dep Drummer...
Hundreds in London...
And without a doubt, more and likely s##t loads better than
the one that has let you down.
Once you start ringing aound, you will be amazed at the Talent out there.
Then after the experiance of working with a good drummer...
You will be thinking...S**t
How are we going to dump our original drummmer :) :huh:

Garry

As a bass player I get a lot of band dep gigs ('Jesus in India' and 'Aristocrash' recently). My brother is drummer and gets similar work.

Neither of us ets paid particularly well (£30-£70 a gig and maybe half for a rehearsal) but both of us can play and love a challenge. I say get a dep!!!

Dan