Why become a member? ×

Drown Me Slowly bass tone

Guinness21

Firstly I know there's lots of stuff on talkbass about how Tim Commerford gets his tone - from the basses, amps & effects he uses to the mods he carries out on his gear. I'm interested in 1 song specifically though, and only looking for suggestions for a ballpark sound.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkkOGkqGZiw"]https://www.youtube....h?v=OkkOGkqGZiw[/url]

I'm a big Audioslave fan, and was listening to Out Of Exile on the train this morning. I don't know why, but the solo in Drown Me Slowly hasn't stood out to me before but this morning I played it back - 1:37-2:12 - a few times because the bass sounds so great! I know he has a few custom made effects on his board, and he's quite secretive about the details.

I'm not looking to replicate his sound 100% (I play a stingray (he played a jazz in audioslave) & I have a clean sounding amp rig), I'm just looking for suggestions on how I get in the same region. It's quite a meaty drive sound.

Thankyooouuuuuu :D

on that solo it sounds almost like a "stuck wah" or some sort of parametric EQ on the dirtiest channel. I know he tends to blend a few channels. So, I would guess a dirty pedal with a parametric mid (E.G marshall jackhammer) in a clean blend would get you fairly close.

If you listen on headphones you can hear his "clean" sound down the middle, which sounds like a slightly overdriven valve amp, then on one side is the dirty channel, which is what I'm saying sounds like a stuck wah. I'm at work so can't check it on speakers - it might be totally different!

If I was going to try and emulate that sound, I'd probably start with my jackhammer in a blended loop, cut the lows and highs, and then play with the mids until it got to where I wanted. The whole lot would have to go through a decent amp or amp-sim though.

The jackhammer is an ace pedal anyway, very versatile and you can get them used for under £40. It might be worth you grabbing one to experiment?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1455120892' post='2976155']
If I was going to try and emulate that sound, I'd probably start with my jackhammer in a blended loop, cut the lows and highs, and then play with the mids until it got to where I wanted. The whole lot would have to go through a decent amp or amp-sim though.

The jackhammer is an ace pedal anyway, very versatile and you can get them used for under £40. It might be worth you grabbing one to experiment?
[/quote]

Cheers for all the advice man

Pretty much Jazz > SVT with something in between to alter/up the gain. Fresh strings help. Sansamp VT I'm thinking for this or any number of light OD/boost pedals to up the SVT gain. Jackhammer is a good shout, EHX OD Glove is a good boost dirt pedal, Hardwire CM-2. I'm using the Caline Pure Sky which is an awesome little boost.

VT Bass or Two Notes Le Bass for that SVT vibe. Sounds like a fuzz kicking in at 1:40ish too! I sold my Boss BB-1X as it was crap as a light overdrive, but it actually excelled as a heavy distortion and sounded not a million miles away from that tone.

Edited by dannybuoy

Doesn't sound like a stuck wah to me, more like a very nasal fuzz EQ'd or run through a cab without a tweeter (or a cab sim or guitar amp). My Diabolik (and the BB-1X I mentioned) can get somewhat close.

Plus I think Timmy C would struggle to get a stuck wah sound with a spring loaded 105Q unless he resorted to intricately balancing some counterweights on the pedal!

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1455188466' post='2976772']
Sounds similar to the sound he has in RATM for Testify: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nw3gzAnBiA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=6nw3gzAnBiA[/url]

I really reckon it could be a clean (but still gritty) bass track mixed with a fuzz. Really nasal-sounding fuzz too, so perhaps it's a modded Big Muff or something?
[/quote]

Does anybody else think that sounds badass? :lol:

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1455210412' post='2977122']
I'm hearing pinched synthy gated fuzz there. B:Assmaster or Diabolik will give you that in spades.
[/quote]

Yeah listene dto a few clips and the b:assmaster nails it!

How does one justify having overdrive, distortion & fuzz pedals on one's board? :scratch_one-s_head: