Why become a member? ×

Musician SR5 Nut replacement

MarshallBTB

The nut has broken on my stingray, the top side of the b string broke when changing strings!
Anyway, had a look online and was wondering if anyone has tried the brass nuts you can get from eBay?
And if there is anyone that could point me in the direction of a recommended replacement I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Edited by MarshallBTB

I'd have a chat with the chaps down at Strings & Things in Shoreham, they should be able to get you a replacement Stingray nut from Ernie Ball. I've always found them very helpful down there. [url="http://www.stringsandthings.co.uk/"]http://www.stringsandthings.co.uk/[/url]

I got a 5 string compensated nut from them no bother, on the other hand, I ordered a pair of the replacement bridge allen studs last June and they haven't arrived yet!
I was shirtily told they're on back order from USA, apparently, when I dared to try and chivvy them up a bit !
Good luck MarshalBTB !

There's not really a drop in replacement for the nut of any bass. You'll be able to find ones with the right dimensions to fit the slot pretty easily, but you'll need to cut the string slots down to the optimum depth based on the height of the first fret and radius. If that's something you can do yourself then ignore this! If it's not you are going to need to take it to a tech or luthier, who would have no trouble crafting a brand new nut for you so you don't need to buy one before taking the bass in.

Edited by Manton Customs

I know it's not a Warwick, but if I were wanting a brass nut I'd take a look at if you can get a Warwick Just-a-Nut 3 to fit.
They're easy to adjust to the right height. You might be able to get the right width for the neck. All you need watch is if the width of the nut will fit the slot in the nut position on your neck.

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1455364770' post='2978415']
There's not really a drop in replacement for the nut of any bass. You'll be able to find ones with the right dimensions to fit the slot pretty easily, but you'll need to cut the string slots down to the optimum depth based on the height of the first fret and radius. If that's something you can do yourself then ignore this! If it's not you are going to need to take it to a tech or luthier, who would have no trouble crafting a brand new nut for you so you don't need to buy one before taking the bass in.
[/quote]

I see your point there but from what i know about EBMM's QC and attention to detail i would really believe that a replacement nut from the manufacturer would have a big probability of fitting snug and perfect without needing some file work. I wouldn't say the same for most manufacturers though.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1455640658' post='2981006']
I see your point there but from what i know about EBMM's QC and attention to detail i would really believe that a replacement nut from the manufacturer would have a big probability of fitting snug and perfect without needing some file work. I wouldn't say the same for most manufacturers though.
[/quote]

I bet all manufacturers have the nuts made to a precise size. You you seriously expect someone in the Encore factory is carefully filing down the nuts to size?

The only nuts that do need filing and modification will be the generically made ones that you can buy cheap on ebay.

No, I think you may be misunderstanding. I'm not talking about the width or the fitting of the nut itself, but the depth the string slots are cut to. This needs to be tailored to the instrument as it will be supplied with the slots not cut deep enough.

Edit: that was in reply to ghost bass...should've quoted!

Edited by Manton Customs

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1455672101' post='2981416']
... it will be supplied with the slots not cut deep enough.
[/quote]
This is correct. I bought a replacement SR neck from Strings & Things a few years ago and it comes from the factory with guide nut slots that still need a final bit of filing. A replacement SR nut will no doubt be the same.

One thing I found when changing the nut on my SR5 Fretless a few years back is that the nut was glued in solid. Jon Shuker did the replacement but it needed some cosmetic repair on the Pau Ferro board behind the nut as it was damaged getting the nut free.

Edited by martthebass