Why become a member? ×

**SOLD** Kay K162V ProBass Vintage re-issue - Custom Upgraded
£575

PaulKing

**SOLD**

[attachment=211621:IMG_5043.JPG] [attachment=211622:IMG_5044.JPG] [attachment=211623:IMG_5046.JPG]

[attachment=211624:IMG_5047.JPG] [attachment=211625:IMG_5048.JPG] [attachment=211626:IMG_5049.JPG]

[attachment=211627:IMG_5050.JPG] [attachment=211628:IMG_5051.JPG] [attachment=211629:IMG_5052.JPG]

[b]£575 [/b]

[size=4][font=Arial][color=#000000][b]Classic vintage 50's looks and sound, with 21st Century design and build. [/b][/color][/font][b]Based on the original classic Kay K162 as used by Howlin' Wolf's bassist, and now the must-have bass for all serious US blues players.[/b][font=Arial][color=#000000][b]This beautiful looking bass stole my heart 4 years ago, and is what got me on the search for an original 1950's model. Now I've found that original bass, I have to reluctantly let this one go. [/b][/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial]Owned by me from new, this guitar has been meticulously looked after, and is beautifully played-in after 4 years light use playing blues and swing in London. It has played at Glastonbury, Soho's Ain't Nothin' But blues bar, Ealing Blues Festival and many other venues. Crucially it has also benefited from several essential upgrades from the factory model - which would cost around £200 to do again. These include:[/font][/font][/color][/size][list]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Replacement [b]Kluson tuners - [/b]perfectly smooth operation, tidy string ends, and more in-keeping with the classic 'Kelvinator' headstock design than the stock tuners supplied.[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Replacement [b]Duesenberg trapeze tailpiece[/b] - vastly improved sound and sustain (removed the tinny mid-range ring), and looks much more like the original Kay tailpiece than the Chinese-made Hofner Beatle-bass stock tailpiece.[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial][b]Hand-made ebony bridge[/b] - improved sound, stability and sustain compared to the flimsy crappy softwood fret-wire bridge supplied as stock ... which are renowned for not working very well (strings fall off!). [/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial][b]Labella Deep Talkin' flatwound [/b]strings (HBB Beatle Bass)[/font][/size]
[/list]
[size=4][font=Arial]This bass is renowned for the deep, full thumping sound from its classic single-coil lipstick pick-up - which is enhanced even more by the famous low-pass tone switch that kills the top end to give you that double-bass thump at a flick of a switch. [/font][font=Arial]Perfect old-school bass for Blues, Soul, Country and RnB, it plays like butter, easy on the wrist. A brilliant, clean-sounding studio bass too. I've never played it without getting jealous comments from every bassist in the audience. Even guitar players want to have a go! It just sounds and looks so cool - although you'll struggle to look quite as good as Sheryl Crow does with it.[/font][/size]

[font=Arial]These basses are still available brand new (costing up to £600) from one or two suppliers in Europe (none in UK as far as I know), but remember they come without all these upgrades - and have been known to come with minor manufacturing defects.This one is perfect, pimped, set-up and gig ready. [/font]

[font=Arial]I'm very reluctant to let this go but cant afford to keep both. Cash on collection (from West London), or I'll pack meticulously and mail if you pay direct. [/font]

Also on the bay...

Edited by PaulKing