Why become a member? ×

TRADED Skjold Custom Series Whaleback fretted 6
£2100

nobodysprefect

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]The best Skjold I've played or heard (yes, I've listened to Erskine, and I think he would sound even better on this one, but tone is of course a matter of taste. One man's treat is another garbage and so on), this bass more or less does it all: slap, rnb, burpy fingerstyle, rock tones... Great for chording, too! Has an even, full tone that goes many places with little tweaks from the pre-amp.[/font][/color]

String spacing at bridge: 18,3 mm, adjustable about +-.5 mm.
Zero fret.
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Spanish Cedar body, with BEM top[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Maple/purpleheart neck with pau ferro fretboard. 35" scale.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]The wonderful full spectrum Skjold pickups and the very powerful and clear East/Skjold pre-amp.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Hipshot hardware, quite light and the bass is exemplarily well-balanced.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Comes with a light hard case or a thomann el cheapo hard case.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][url="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lt980dlz7ujd7os/AAAlICq9UOwr1vJ65Eq3VIK9a?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox....65Eq3VIK9a?dl=0[/url]Photos in dropbox[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Why am I selling it?[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]This is the bass that started my frantic forum trading phase a decade ago. I sold it on to try something new. I recently reacquired this bass in trade... And it's the best bass I've ever played. I suppose I should treasure the knowledge I've gained, but in the end it was not worth it.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I've decided to quit playing. I thought I would maybe hold on to this bass for sentimental reasons -- you know, a reminder of what a folly it is to pursue something new just because it's new. But really, that's a vanity and I'm no longer a guy who wants vanity stuff. So I guess that's something gained in owning well over 60 boutique basses...[/font][/color]

Edited by nobody's prefect

What an absolutely beautiful bass - I love the way the different planes are combined into the whole. What a salutary tale too. I suspect that I've been through similar emotions but was never sufficiently courageous or single-minded to knock it on the head. Good luck with the sale - a unique bass, Even greater luck with whatever you decide to do next

It also spent some time with me in Norwich. Excellent bass which I also regret selling! Pete skjold explained that the bass was originally designed as a solo bass hence the Spanish cedar body. I've no idea really but I always found the bass really clear and articulate, without some of the more hifi boutiquey sounds. Back pickup kills for fingerstyle.
Anyway, good luck ville, another great bass up for grabs....

• 2 months later...