Why become a member? ×

My band is going into record soon...opinions?

Cameronj279

Sorry if I should have put this in a different section, I wasn't really sure since it's more about getting opinions than actually sharing my music.

Basically my band is heading into record 4 songs in a months time and I'm basically just looking for opinions on one/some of the songs...just in-case there is anything that immediately stands out as bad to other people when they listen to it. We don't want to record songs then realise something is obviously wrong with them!

The section where it goes a lot softer will have an overdubbed guitar chord sequence over it but can't do it at rehearsals since we only have the one guitarist.

https://soundcloud.com/goon-and-the-kings/cross-the-line/s-SHlEg

Recording isn't superb as it was done at rehearsal the other day and again, sorry if this is in the wrong section and feel free not to listen or to call us pish!

Cameron

For me, the first two and a half minutes is a cracking little pop song - a bit like something you'd expect Stiff to have put out in the late 70's, early 80's. But then it just keeps going and doesn't really seem to know why - as if you have too many ideas and are trying to stuff them all into the one song. I'd also put the little guitar motif in from the start, very catchy, and is what makes the track for me.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1454280188' post='2968267']
For me, the first two and a half minutes is a cracking little pop song - a bit like something you'd expect Stiff to have put out in the late 70's, early 80's. But then it just keeps going and doesn't really seem to know why - as if you have too many ideas and are trying to stuff them all into the one song. I'd also put the little guitar motif in from the start, very catchy, and is what makes the track for me.
[/quote]

I know what you mean, it's weird. When we were originally writing it we felt it was a bit long but we tried playing it shortened and it didn't feel right.

It's all ideas I'm gonna chat about with the other chaps. Just at the point of finalising everything for recordings now. :)

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1454278930' post='2968256']...I'm basically just looking for opinions on one/some of the songs...just in-case there is anything that immediately stands out as bad to other people when they listen to it....
[/quote]

Good evening, Cameron...

Put your mind at rest, this is not a 'bad' song, nor does it merit any 'pish' comments. Highly polished finished product it is not, either, but you already knew that, didn't you..?
The composition stands up straight, the arrangement, with the members you have, are credible, it's not the genre that would support over-production, anyway. Criticism..? Well, yes, if you insist, but nothing directly concerning the technical recording, which is not too bad for a 'live' rehearsal take.
No, it's from a dynamic point of view that I'd suggest that the drums come in with much less attack, building up progressively chorus by chorus, to peak at the end, as at present. It seems that he (she..?) is using rimshots pretty much from the start. When recording, a separate mic on the snare will make it unnecessary to build a shed, and much more 'nuance' can be expressed. Similar remark for the cymbals; there are other strokes than simply hitting 'em each time; that would render the build-up more musical, in my view.
In general, I would recommend that all of you get the most of the remaining time before the 'red light' goes on in running through, individually, your parts to a click track. There are a number of timing errors throughout which can, nowadays, be edited,but that's very, very time consuming, and the result is never as good as playing it 'tight' at the first take. That, I think, is the principal weakness shown here.
The sound sculpting in a decent studio will make a world of difference to all, I'm sure, but it's your 'tightness' which will make the songs really shine.
Good luck with the project; kudos for sharing a 'work in progress'.
Hope this helps.

I liked the main riff, and agree it should be the "home" .
If you go off into something else, try to make sure you come back to it.
Reminds me of something "Slaves" would play, and i agree with Douglas, i don't think it would sound good overproduced.
Sounds raw as it is. I think it should stay that way.
Get it a bit tighter for the recording and it's good to go.
Think your bass tone works great with it too.
Of course, these things are just my opinion :lol:

Edited by FuNkShUi

I agree with the comment about the drum dynamics and so do the other members after talking to them about it. As far as the tightness thing goes we are spending each rehearsal playing to a click as well as doing it at home too.

The overdub is going to be very far in the background just for the one section. For the most part we are keeping it quite raw but not 'too raw'.