Why become a member? ×

Promoting your own music?

Cameronj279

In just over a months time my band are going to be spending a few days in a studio and getting a 4 track EP type thing recorded and I'm just basically searching methods of promoting it.

Quite frankly I'm clueless and not very good at this sort of stuff at the best of time so all experiences are a help.

Cameron

I'd say take a leaf out of Janek Gwizdala's book. Get yourselves onto every social media site possible. Write blogs on these sites as updates of what is happening with the band. Start now with the info on the recording. Starts to build up the interest. Look at how early record companies release they artists records to radio stations. Basschat, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and any other site you can think of. It doesn't cost anything but a bit of your time. Answer questions quickly and keep adding to blogs and updates regularly as this lets Google know you are active and might help you get up the search stats. I'm sure others will come in with their experience.

You could also do worse than read Steve Lawson's blogging on this topic in the social media age. http://www.stevelawson.net

Also, obvious question, but what do you want to achieve through the promotion? Major record deal and then becoming the new Led Zeppelin, private jets, groupies and all...? Picking up some gigs? Regular but modest income from sales of music? Networking with likeminded musos for further music making? Showcasing your abilities for publishing interest, library music interest, session interest etc? Having somewhere online for fans to buy stuff? Just getting a kick out of others hearing and (hopefully) digging your music?

Depending on how you answer that seemingly too basic question will affect the types of strategies which you use, the platforms you use and how you use them. It will also affect the difficulty/likelihood of achieving the desired outcome you have set for yourself...

Promote it at your gigs. Play well, get chatting to people at the gig when after your performance they rush to buy it. Am not being sarcastic here btw, that`s what we`ve done. Sure on-line is helpful - more than helpful in fact - but delivering a knock-out performance is a good way of getting people to part with their hard-earned. And from there they do the promoting for you, word of mouth to friends still exists even in these tech-advanced times.