Why become a member? ×

Which bass should I put flatwounds on?

Srwu

Hi

I'm going to take the plunge and try out some flatwounds.

I'm trying to decide whether to put on my Jazz or my Stingray. I'm tempted to put them on the Stingray for the Bernard Edwards associations but I wonder if they would be a more natural fit with the Jazz.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts or advice.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will come along and confirm but I'm pretty sure Bernard Edwards used dead rounds for most of the Chic stuff. Flats on a Jazz would be less common than flats on a P-bass but can sound fantastic - there are some good clips on Youtube that give you the idea. To my ear they round out the scooped tone of a Jazz without getting rid of the articulation which can be a pretty good end result depending on what you're after. Can also sound great slapped if you're into that kind of thing. Have fun experimenting!

I run flats on my Jazz , and my Stringray type 5 , the only thing that doesn't get this treatment is my T-Bird ;-)

With a brighter flat like a chrome .. i get a huge variety out of the jazz .... I think the easiest way to tell is how do yo want your bass to sound If like me you find that tone knobs are much more likely to be set
to 1 -3 rather than 8-10 , Then you'd benefit from using flats ;-)

Putitng flats on the Tbird just seems like a bad idea :-P though

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='Srwu' timestamp='1453023818' post='2955514']
Hi

I'm going to take the plunge and try out some flatwounds.

I'm trying to decide whether to put on my Jazz or my Stingray. I'm tempted to put them on the Stingray for the Bernard Edwards associations but I wonder if they would be a more natural fit with the Jazz.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts or advice.
[/quote]

"[i]my Jazz [u]or[/u] my Stingray"[/i]? Surely you mean "[i]my Jazz [u]AND[/u] my Stingray[/i]" :D

OK seriously - which one do you like to play the most? - that's the one I'd [s]through[/s] throw flats on first. Unlike with a P bass and a Jazz - due to the different tuning machine pattern the strings won't be simple to swap back and forth.
If you've never played flats before I'd look carefully into tension and flexability - e.g. you probably don't want to get the traditional heavy flats if you've been playing on light rounds.

for example:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnecKgFdPOU[/media]
VS:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPtMyHqeg60[/media]

Edited by PlungerModerno

Thanks all for your advice. I play the Jazz more often and also I reckon I could switch the strings from the Jazz to the Stingray more easily than in the other direction.

So it's probably the Jazz for flatwounds. On the other hand I do have GAS for a precision....

GHs flatwounds are cool but if you want The sound :) , please try once Labella or Thomastik. They made History
I played my Thomastik JF364 for 6 years.

Check this US website : stringsandbeyond for cheap Labella. Often there is a free international shipping