Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass 1964 OW
£3699

nap

Original Fender Jazz Bass 1964 (L-Series)

slim neck profile, lightweigt, awesome sound and playability.

would trade for a later jazz bass with block inlays. must have a slim neck profile and lightweight.

-new pots,

-professional refret

-refinish and relic by limelight

worldwide shipping

Edited by nap

hi,

if i remember correctly the neck stamp has vanished (i can have a look again and take pictures when i am at home).

other than mention above, everything is original. of course this is no real collectors item, but the real deal and meant to be played.

i get a certificate from a well known vintage dealer if desired.

As you can see the neck date isn't there anymore and the neck pocket is oversprayed. but you can see the stamp on the back of the neck.

i took some detail pics of the most important parts. a vintage guitar shop had this bass under inspection and there was no doubt it was original.

also mark from limelight basses took it part and he had nothing to complain and told me "its a great one" ;-)

Which shop are we talking about for the authentication? They are not all created equal.

Picture of the back of the pickups should help determine if they are original or not.

The neck plate is not enough to authenticate the date I'm afraid.

like i said i had the bass refinished at limelight guitars. refret was made by "boerjes bass guitars" (famous german bass luthier) and i had it for inspection at "vintage guitar oldenburg" (one of germanys well-known and oldest vintage dealer). none of them had any doubt that it isnt original.

if someone is seriously interested in buying it, i can get an "official" certificate.

[quote name='CH161' timestamp='1452973584' post='2955286']
Maybe you should get the "official" certificate first?

Then maybe people would be interested in buying it. :)
[/quote]

actually i could, yes. but how many refinshed vintage instruments have been sold on here and you only go after some stamps, which are the most easily to fake?

i think corrects measurments of parts are whats important, and someone who is intrested in buying vintage instuments can clearly see that this is the real deal...

The problem here is there's no reason the neck stamp should be missing. Was the whole neck refinished? If so, why was the 'OK' stamp left? If it wasn't, then what reason would anyone have for taking it off?

Often assessing. A vintage guitar involves some detective work, and that's all we're trying to help you with. It comes from a positive place!

We are not able to pick it up, smell it, get the magnifier on it...even play it.

As a consequence, we need as many detailed photographs as possible.

If it was a bargain price it would have gone already - the price asked dictates the information required.

Good luck.

To be controversial again, the neck finish showing the 'unfinished' rectangle shows another finish underneath (possibly two) which again makes it harder to identify whether the body is completely original. People with greater knowledge than I have can offer some advice, but it would be something I was keen to look at.

the bass was stripped when i got it and it had leftovers of red and black in the neck pocket. even then you you couldn't see any stamps anymore.

i would never offer something which i wasn't 100% confident its original.

[quote name='nap' timestamp='1453030352' post='2955644']
the bass was stripped when i got it and it had leftovers of red and black in the neck pocket. even then you you couldn't see any stamps anymore.

i would never offer something which i wasn't 100% confident its original.
[/quote]with 100% confidence I can say this bass is not original. Sorry

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1453048441' post='2955924']
with 100% confidence I can say this bass is not original. Sorry
[/quote][quote name='gareth' timestamp='1453048441' post='2955924']
with 100% confidence I can say this bass is not original. Sorry
[/quote]

seriously?

I tried a bass at vintage guitar oldenburg which was listed as 100% original 1965 Jazz Sunburst. After a look over (and I'm not a Fender expert) I had a felling there was something not 'right' about it. They were asking €8900 I think for it. After it was gone and then reappeared for €6900 a few weeks later not sure why but Im guessing they realized something wasn't quite right as well. Anyway Im sharing this just to show that you can't know anything is 100% original because the market for vintage guitars is so crazy and unrealistic.

come on, look at all the tiny detailed wear the bass has (not talking about the finish-relic) no one could ever fake this.. brazilian rosewood fretboard - pre-CBS. which means pre-65.

and btw... i bought this out of a houshold clearance, as if one would place a fake fender there...

and i offer paypal, if something other than mentioned above turns out to be not original i will refund the money.

I'm inclined to think this bass is broadly right, not least because the pickguard and tuners seem correct, but overall we're looking at a complete restoration. The starting point was a stripped body, a stripped neck with no neck date and the logo missing, and a control plate with the pots replaced. So, there are no dates left at all.

Though it looks good today that's mostly the relic job. My worry, apart from the price, would be the pickups. If they aren't original, then there wouldn't be a great deal of vintage value left. I would consider making an offer if I could see a closeup of the pickup bottoms etc.

Sorry to sound negative, as this bass looks attractive, but in the vintage world the value of any piece falls away if things aren't right. Johnny.