Why become a member? ×

Yannick Koffi - 9 year old funky bass player... he's got it!

urb

Hey

I was reading the ole free paper on the tube yesterday morning and rtghe metro decided to give half a page to a story on this young bassist - Yannick Koffi from Australia - home to Tal Wilkenfiled too (another young bass prodigy). Anyway I just looked the kid up on the net and there are a couple of cool videos - he's starting out right learning the classic basslines and for a little guy he actually puts a lot of older players to shame - as long as he keeps his feet on the ground and does his own thing I think he'll be amaing in few years time.

Playing 'Sir Duke' by Stevie

and 'Now That We've Found Love'

M

[quote name='TheDarkReaver' post='285028' date='Sep 16 2008, 02:07 PM']Is it just me or is he always slightly off time?

I mean good for a 9 year old, and I'm sure he'll become a great player, but he doesn't seem as prodigious as other young musicians I've seen.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='TheDarkReaver' post='285028' date='Sep 16 2008, 02:07 PM']Is it just me or is he always slightly off time?

I mean good for a 9 year old, and I'm sure he'll become a great player, but he doesn't seem as prodigious as other young musicians I've seen.[/quote]

He didn't seem like he was really digging the tunes. My money's on that little three-year-old dude on YouTube who can't play a note yet but has oodles of groove.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DshBvqxjmQ&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DshBvqxjmQ...feature=related[/url]

Yup, he's quite muddy with timing...

I'd probably go for an other young guy, who plays a bit easier lines, but is [i]tight[/i] as f*ck.
We always talk about timing importance, right?

Edited by Faithless

Surely playing an instrument is about enjoying it and having fun with what you are doing? His face looks like a spanked arse!! He looks like he's been thrust up on stage by his pushy parents and doesn't really want to be there, which is a bit sad. I agree with the rest though give him a few years and he could become a true bass great.

[quote name='Exile252' post='285372' date='Sep 16 2008, 08:38 PM']The bass seems to be really too big for him. Should really go for a 30" or something. I mean, it just looked odd.[/quote]

yeah the bass is too big its killing his fretting hand
and i think he also wants to kill the cheesy vocalist who probably picked the song for him

If his timing is out then his parents should tell him that he is 5hit, I've told my kids this from a young age when they came home with paintings for me, I'd tell them what I thought and show them some proper art. Then again I haven't seen or spoken to my kids since they left home so I can't say how they turned out.
None of this true of course.
I love my little angels - the 5hits.
Otherwise, I wish I'd started playing bass at 9, I'd be adequate now & thats good for me.