Why become a member? ×

A double neck project for 2016, hopefully...

oh...it's_a_squier

I've always had a love of the Bass VI, and I've had various experiences with them. Thing is, whenever I have played with one, I've reached a point where I longed to jump straight into a regular four string, especially when playing one within a band setting.
Soooo, long story short, this is what I've been playing around with-

[attachment=208396:doubleneck2.jpg]

It's two Harley Benton Shorty P's melted together in a fairly shonky fashion. It's not very comfortable to play, being very neck heavy (though surprisingly not that heavy overall) and the necks being juuuuuust a little too far apart. One thing it certainly has achieved though is convincing me this is an absolutely worthwhile dream-build, and something I want to try and make happen this year.
My problem is though I'm happy to try my hand at guitar building, I live in a small flat with no garden, let alone workshop space. In an ideal world I'd design and build a body to put everything from the existing double neck onto it, but I don't know how feasible that would be. I'm also aware that not many builders would be interested in this project, certainly at a price point I could afford.
Right now, I'm considering my options, and would be really interested to hear what anyone has to say on the matter.
Thoughts?

Interesting concept - You're right to think most builders will want some bank for this - it's like building two fairly straightforward instruments, or one quite tricky one.

It can't hurt to enquire with builders. Worst thing they can do is ignore you. I'd consider the budget and try to match your expectations to what can be achieved.

I'd look into headless tuning systems or very light tuner and headstock arrangements - or have a much heavier body to get better balance.

I have a few twin necks and I would totally agree with Dom.
If it is to be an on stage tool the compact headless is the way to go.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of twins and visually, I think they can
be attractive and on stage can add a presence, so it depends on what you
want it for.

One small tip - my Peter Cook twin has the strap button behind the bottom neck.
For the one you have at the moment, try loosening one of the neck screws - top
one, nearest to the bridge and have a trial run with the strap under the head of
the screw (carefully) and see if that balances a little better.
Worth a go.

Keep us posted.

Cheers. :)

After thinking about the concept a little more - It's interesting what you're after (not that a regular double neck isn't interesting enough).

A short scale bass VI style neck and a second bass neck (I assume the same or roughly the same scale - based on the shorty mockup above). For the 4 string neck a 2+2 headstock can be pretty compact:

For the Bass VI I'd look to ibanez again:

Although I'd try to use guitar tuners rather than bass tuners for lightness and compactness. Gotta figure out what will accept the string gauges well though!

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1451685392' post='2942534']
If I ever went twin neck again I'd go headless like this:

A conventional twin is very bulky , it really pinned me down on stage. I also found that I couldn't quite get a playing position that was perfect for both necks.
[/quote]

I've been thinking this is the way to go, but I think it would prove out of reach financially speaking. Also, trying to find double ball-end bass VI strings sounds tricky to say the least.

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1451727627' post='2942734']
One small tip - my Peter Cook twin has the strap button behind the bottom neck.
For the one you have at the moment, try loosening one of the neck screws - top
one, nearest to the bridge and have a trial run with the strap under the head of
the screw (carefully) and see if that balances a little better.
Worth a go.

Keep us posted.

Cheers. :)
[/quote]

I will certainly try this tomorrow, thanks for the tip!

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1451737534' post='2942908']
After thinking about the concept a little more - It's interesting what you're after (not that a regular double neck isn't interesting enough).

A short scale bass VI style neck and a second bass neck (I assume the same or roughly the same scale - based on the shorty mockup above). For the 4 string neck a 2+2 headstock can be pretty compact:
or the Bass VI I'd look to ibanez again:
Although I'd try to use guitar tuners rather than bass tuners for lightness and compactness. Gotta figure out what will accept the string gauges well though!
[/quote]

With the one I have right now, there are three small Warwick bass tuners and three guitar tuners. Guitar tuners can be done though, as I have a Warmoth VI with regular Grovers on it, but then you're relying on strings with the correct scale/ taper. Love the look of both those Ibanezs, but I couldn't bring myself to saw those guys up!

[quote name='paulnb57' timestamp='1451745004' post='2943015']
The necks too close issue could be solved using a Left hand PB Shorty neck for the bottom neck then the tuners would be underneath creating a bit more space to push the necks closer together……….
[/quote]

Agreed.

It's really good to have honest opinions like these, I really think the headless idea could be the key, but looking at $700 in hardware (according to Hipshot's website) is dizzying. Also, the whole double ball-end string thing is worrying.
I fear there's a good reason these basses don't exist.

As has been said try to keep the weight down. I got a bit carried away when I put this together.

[URL=http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/mrs-1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/gelfin5959/mrs-1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Although not a bass this is coming along slowly.

[URL=http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/20141002_143555_zps4ff9fbb0.jpg.html][IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/gelfin5959/20141002_143555_zps4ff9fbb0.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I freaking love doublenecks. Been after making one for years but i never find the time.

Heres a collection of pictures of doublenecks ive put together over the years. Might give you some ideas.

[url="http://trichards.co.uk/gallery.php?load=images/gallery/Doublenecks/"]http://trichards.co....ry/Doublenecks/[/url]

I always thought this design was cool, smallish body.

Edited by tommorichards

loving this! there is cheaper headless hardware available, I think I've seen 4 string stuff for less than 40 quid on ebay (it won't be quite the quality of the hipshot though!)

you could go for headless on the 4 string then regular 3+3 for the other neck, a decent length upper horn will help with balance as well.

Matt