Why become a member? ×

Status Kingbass 6 string fretless

6stringbassist

I'm just about to order this.

Status don't do 'in progress' photos, so this will be quite a short thread, sort of before and after photos only.

It's going to be an Artist model with a through neck, unlined fretless with side markings and no LED's or bendwell and 18mm string spacing.

It's also going to have black hardware.

It is I believe going to be only the 2nd 6 string Kingbass.

I have to decide between these two facings, not an easy decision, so your input would be usefull.

[quote name='walbassist' post='282527' date='Sep 12 2008, 12:04 PM']Nice. I assume you've played a Kingbass. I know a few people who love them, but also a few who found the ergonomics all wrong.[/quote]

I played one and found that the short top horn pushed the neck [i]way [/i]to much forward for my liking when on the strap, fantastic instrument though.

Most basses tend to have the strap position around about the 12 fret, and the more this is pulled back, clearly the more the neck gets pushed further away from you. Strap height will have a big factor here as well, the shorter the strap is the more forward the neck will be pushed away from you.

Edited by david_l_perry

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='282569' date='Sep 12 2008, 12:41 PM']Your Wal is beautiful, unusual that you've got a gloss finish though isn't it.[/quote]

Thanks. Yes it is quite unusual, although certainly not unique. Pete was concerned that the naturally brittle nature of the spalted maple would make it liable to crack if left with the usual poly finish, so we glossed it.