Why become a member? ×

25.5'' scale 4 string bass

Bastav

Done and done! It plays! For now anyway... too early for victory laps, time will tell how well it stays in tune but I was able to tune it up and play it for a bit. It feels and plays rather nice, I must say :) Only phone cam photos for now, sorry.

Might take som better pics and record a sound sample when I get home in a weeks time, thanks for watching!

Wow that is one crazy bass... and what a process. I think the headstock falling off was probably a good thing, as it looked a bit out of proportion somehow: and this led you to coming with the through-the-body string solution that makes this totally unique. I was wondering why the 25.5 scale - but just as well as it turns out otherwise you would be using upright strings! Probably most of us following this thread like to work in wood, and play the bass: and therefore want to make one (well I do) - but you've done it in such a learn as you go way. You had a plan, but it clearly evolved with time... can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Thanks! My process is definitely learn as i go, if i get an idea mid-build i try it out and most of the time i can work my way around small problems this process may throw my way. I still consider myself a novice both when it comes to instrument making and woodworking in general so to anyone who feels like making an instrument i say go for it, its really not all that difficult.

Regarding this build, i didnt have any sheilding tape handy when putting it together so i just skipped it. Im going to have to do that before calling it done.
As to the 25,5" scale this was down to me wanting to make a small, ukebass type travelbass and then finding this pre-slotted fretboard on ebay. As you pointed out, the extra string length came in handy when finding a headless solution!

• 3 weeks later...

A few more then

First impressions are pretty good, its much fun to play such a small bass. Only real issue so far has been some fretbuzz on the 21st fret on the E string, not too bad.. and when am i ever going to play up there, really? Its also lacking a bit of sustain up in the dusty end... But all in all, great fun travel sized bass, which is what i was going for!

• 2 weeks later...

Recorded a quick demo with the bass. Multitracked the bass so its a little muddy in places.
Recorded through my microcube, no eq.
Main bassline - both pickups
Secondary plucking - neck pickup
Solo - bridge pickup

Some obligatory disclaimers:
1 Im not a proffesional bass player or anything so dont expect anything too fancy :)
2 Some hiss in the recording, comes from my recording equipment, not the bass

[url="https://youtu.be/V8I6J1chBxc"]https://youtu.be/V8I6J1chBxc[/url]

(dont know how to embed video, sorry)

• 2 weeks later...