Why become a member? ×

Imagine...The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson

rubis

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1448622296' post='2916886']
I was transfixed all the way through. Thought it was brilliant. - and a real eye opener on the man. I thought Wilko came out of it very well.
[/quote]
[quote name='NoRhino' timestamp='1448811602' post='2918306']
Watched it today. Think it's an excellent film. Knowing a bit about Wilko's life from OCC helped.
[/quote]

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed it too. Oil City Confidential is one of my all time fave films and this worked really well as a companion piece to that.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1448963702' post='2919552']
Shame he didnt even give a tiny nod to the debt he owes Mick Green though....
[/quote]
[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1449032285' post='2920227']
I stuck with it to the end, but I wish they had just slotted in more Feelgoods and Wilko concert footage instead of all the Shakespearean drivel. Overjoyed he's still with us.
[/quote]

There was a quick, passing reference to Johnny Kidd and the Pirates but this was all covered in more detail in Oil City Confidential so was little more than brief background context for this film - which, to be fair, is about Wilko's post diagnosis story rather than the Feelgood's history. As to the Shakespearean drivel, it's a film about the man. A man who studies ancient Icelandic epic poetry at college and who admits on camera that he enjoys peppering his every day speech with obscure literary quotes and references - add Temple's style to that and intercuts to Christopher Plummer doing Hamlet is almost compulsory... If you want more Feelgoods than OCC comes highly recommended - albeit with a strong Julien Temple Arty Farty direction health warning too!

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1448972616' post='2919653']
Hope you enjoy the gig tomorrow night Hutton - should be a cracker!
[/quote]

The gig was superb Andy. Norman Watt-Roy was simply stunning. At one point Wilko's lead failed and NWR just took over until the lead was replaced. His solo work was immense, this man is a marvellous musician.