Why become a member? ×

PMT Birmingham. Praise where it's due...

jonnythenotes

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1449044925' post='2920263']

Curious, I googled and found this:

[url="http://planetbotch.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/memories-of-musical-exchanges.html"]http://planetbotch.b...-exchanges.html[/url]

Bought a few items from PMT, alway drop by for a browse if I'm in the area.
[/quote]

Great article. Thanks for posting.
It was the part ex that was the appeal and virtually every guitar i had in the 80s went back to be swapped for something else. I agree though that it was better before they moved the guitars downstairs

It's great to see Pmt broadening their gear horizons a bit nowadays.... My impression,(rightly or wrongly,) was one of pretty safe and none adventurous gear being sold...Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Ashdown etc. A couple,of weeks ago, I bought an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 from them for a great price, which I was surprised was in stock. They had Spector basses on show, and a good old wedge of Sandberg gear hanging on the wall, and what I thought was essential, knowledgable and friendly staff, who in no way intimidate you with either pressure or product knowledge.

Just popped in there and picked up a second hand hartke LH500 for £119. Its immaculate and i get 6 months warranty so think this is a good price.

I already have one which gives me the tone i want so this is a nice backup. I bought a behringer BVT4500h as my back up a few weeks ago brand new but its just too bulky so going to move it on now.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1448539771' post='2916235']
Maybe i've just been unlucky with them then.
Realistically though, it is good to have some competition to Millers again, after DV shut down.
Apart from the likes of Thomann etc!
[/quote]

Went in again a couple of days ago.
All the staff hanging around the counter, chatting, and then they went off to play instruments together.
Got a hello on way in but no offers of help or anything

Went back in with our female singer later in day and instantly get help

[quote name='Stu-khag' timestamp='1448537567' post='2916212']
I'm intrigued to have a look. Gamlins must be mightily annoyed considering they are 30 secs walk away!
[/quote]

Cranes must be annoyed that PMT have poached their manager too.

I had a quick look at their website & it doesn't look like PMT are selling anything that wasn't already available in Cranes & Gamlins, just the usual stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Phoned PMT Birmingham this morning and purchased a TC BG250 208. The young gentleman assistant by the name of Dan, on discovering I lived just 5 minutes down the road from himself, offered to deliver it personally, which he duly did tonight on his way home from work.

Over the years I have purchased and part-exchanged a fair few items from PMT and previously Sound Control where a number of staff had a previous existence. I can vouch to staff to giving well-informed advice and the service to be excellent.

My first impression of the TC BG250 208 - purchased as a lightweight home practice amp - it seems to fit the bill nicely.

I ordered some Seymour Duncan pickups for my Cort and they didn't fit (too small for existing routing). They ordered aome Aguilar instead without any fuss.

Just waiting on delivery so they can be installed (for free too).

Ps Nige if you see this can you ask Jay how long they'll be please ;)

Edited by Machines

• 1 month later...

I was in PMT Birmingham last week to try out a bass as I was ready to push the button. I was looked after really well by Jay - good guy, gave me all the time I needed. I ended up buying it from PMT later that day via the website as I was doing it on finance and am just more comfortable doing finance applications at home on my own. So thanks Jay, really appreciate your time, knowledge and assistance.