Why become a member? ×

pulling the strings for a clanky sound

The-Ox

i thought as much ok thanks guys!

given the technique i was using, I'd only use it sparingly, as you need to get a good hold of the strings and pinch them, would be a lot of effort to learn how to transfer between strings quickly. I just wanted to know if I would damage it :)

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1448041553' post='2912668']
i thought as much ok thanks guys!

given the technique i was using, I'd only use it sparingly, as you need to get a good hold of the strings and pinch them, would be a lot of effort to learn how to transfer between strings quickly. I just wanted to know if I would damage it :)
[/quote]

Playing the strings in the "normal" fingerstyle but very hard will produce a similar effect/sound. It will be easier to move between strings.

Geddy Lee used to use this technique a lot in the 70's/80's. I don't know if he damaged his bass but he has had to have a few operations on his arm tendons.
I get a similar sound by slapping my finger(s) down over the bridge pup or right at the edge of the neck.

It's normally thought of as part of slap technique - 'slapping and popping'. You might slap the A-string with the thumb then maybe twang ('pop') an octave up on the G-string. With both the slap and the pop (and probably with life in general), the trick is to practice getting the result you want without overdoing it, which will minimise fret wear as well as muscle strain, and enable faster playing.