Why become a member? ×

Sometimes a bass will just tease and tease....

Shockwave

Hey guys!

A bit of a story on my next aquisition.

Squier5 had been trying to sell his Green Squier 5 string bass for a while. 100 quid plus SD basslines AND Fender decal? Bargain i felt. However not so much of a bargain that i could afford it!

Eventually the bass was sold much to my chagrin, And i forgot about it.

Then it came up for sale AGAIN. The original buyer decided it wasent for him. Squier5 bought it back and put it back up for sale and ebayed. I had offered a deposit but was turned down.

In a struggle i sold my pink BCR eagle to afford the squier, i was 20 mins too late to buy the squier as someone had used "Buy it now"

Drat, that was the last i would see of that!

THEN. The buyer of the bass put it up on ebay at around 140 buy it now including postage with a 100 starting bid. Saying it was an impulse buy. Steeper but a possibility.

I was also looking at an MSI wind laptop, a mini notebook for uni to take lecture notes. I couldnt afford both.

Anyway, I lost the auction to the laptop 20 mins before the bass came out. The bid was at £100 so i thought i would give it a bash. £104 sold! 12 quid shipping.

So finally the bass is hopefully on its way to me!

Original ad.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24984&hl=squier"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...4&hl=squier[/url]

Ebay auction.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290258954465&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=019[/url]

It will make an excellant backup bass Imo.

Thats not the end of the story however. 10 minutes after paying for the squier i get an email from the seller of the laptop giving me a (legitimate) Second chance offer as the original buyer of the laptop was slovenian and the seller wouldnt send it outside of the UK. I was a bit unhappy because i really needed the laptop and couldnt really afford it after buying the squier. Cheekily I said I would accept and let my fiance pay! She isent happy about it but i have been after one of these laptops for a while. I had to explain pretty quickly why i bought the bass though! Cripes.

Roll on student loan day!

Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

What a journey!

cool you got both though! :)

Just noticed it has a fender precision decal, I recognise it as I bought one of the same myself recently. I would take it off and get the right Jazz one. I'm sure I've still got the email/website address of this particular manufacturer (decal) give me a shout if you want too.

andy

[quote name='andy67' post='281288' date='Sep 10 2008, 05:55 PM']What a journey!

Just noticed it has a fender precision decal, I recognise it as I bought one of the same myself recently. I would take it off and get the right Jazz one. I'm sure I've still got the email/website address of this particular manufacturer (decal) give me a shout if you want too.

andy[/quote]

I think i'll keep it as Precision. It has the Body and neck of a P. Besides this could be a perfect platform for some modding. I was thinking Bridge MM bucker and a 5 string P pup for the neck.

I quite like the look of the decal it has now anyway! Cheers.

[quote name='E_MaN' post='281294' date='Sep 10 2008, 06:04 PM']Thats pretty sweet...I def. would recommend putting two humbuckersin there...would be awesome.[/quote]

Possibly, However the jazz pups in the bass arent being used to its full extent, I did a little research and those Pups are meant to be used as active ones or with a pre-amp, i am sure they are just being used as straight passives.

That's a steal .. a friend has one (not that glorious colour though :) ) and its a beut.
Try an active preamp from here
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Artec-3-Band-active-EQ-For-Basse-Guitars-A4_W0QQitemZ130170324364QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130170324364&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]Artec 3 band EQ £22[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=77"]Rich [/url] has one in one of his two pick up basses.. Worth asking for an opinion.

[quote name='andy67' post='281288' date='Sep 10 2008, 05:55 PM']What a journey!

andy[/quote]

I'm glad my Bass is going to somebody who really wants it!The thing is,it really is a Precision,but I've seen a lot of comments both on this forum as well as Talkbass,that it can't be a P bass because it has J type pups.It has a P bass body,and scratchplate,albeit with different cutouts,so if nothing else,it's a conversation piece,a bit of an oddity if you like and I suppose a Jazz decal would add to that.But she's(all basses are female,by the way)definitely a Precision.

Nice. I'm sure you'll enjoy the MSI Wind - it's a great little laptop - I have the Advent 4211 version which is PC World's rebadged Wind. My missus just mentioned that she wants one as well. When I get payment for a web site I completed recently I'll probably buy it for her (but only on condition she runs Ubuntu on it :) ).

If it hasn't been done already on yours, you can double the memory to 2Gb for £12 with a module from play.com.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='281393' date='Sep 10 2008, 08:40 PM']Nice. I'm sure you'll enjoy the MSI Wind - it's a great little laptop - I have the Advent 4211 version which is PC World's rebadged Wind. My missus just mentioned that she wants one as well. When I get payment for a web site I completed recently I'll probably buy it for her (but only on condition she runs Ubuntu on it :huh: ).

If it hasn't been done already on yours, you can double the memory to 2Gb for £12 with a module from play.com.[/quote]

Technically mine is a Advent 4211!

And yes i am already upgrading the Ram this friday :)

Hehe, I cant wait to play some old school games on it :huh:

Its actually a downgrade from my last laptop, But i hated lugging that thing to and from uni.,