Why become a member? ×

Genuine JV Precision?

Roger2611

Hi guys, not having ever owned a JV before and knowing this has had the decal changed, if I were going to bid on it does anybody see anything I should be worried about?

Cheers
Rog

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131652147800?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It looks ok to my non-trained eye as a late 1982 JV. I could be way-off on this, but shouldn't "EX" be stamped on the heel of the neck or the neck pocket to signify export model? As he's going to take the neck off to post anyway, maybe you could get that checked out. I think you should also be looking out for cloth wiring with a green tone cap.

www.21frets.com should be your first port of call for all things JV-related. You might even be able to cross reference the serial number there.

Hi Roj, most noticibly, strap button on head missing. Pity the bridge and pups aren't visible. As above cloth wiring and green cap. Think it should have EX printed too but my JV 57 doesn't have any date written on the heel as I recall. I'm sure the holes were already in the plate for the covers but I dont think the body was originally drilled for them. Not sure about holes for a thumbest? Theres a few JV's in the links below that hopefully will sort any doubts out. Looks ok to me. 21 frets is the place to go though...

http://innadaze.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/1983-jv-62-fender-precision-bass.html

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/225016-now-sold-1982-jv-squier-62-ri-precision-sunburstrosewood-l600/

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198338-withdrawn-squier-jv-precision-sunburst/

http://fenderbass.vraiforum.com/t2115-SQUIER-Precision-Bass-RI-62-serie-JV.htm

http://www.gitarr.info/squier/pbas.html

It looks okay to me too. Colour very typical, body joints offset at the same place as both of mine, removed headstock button was in the right place, tuners look correct. Actually that guard pattern isn't too common, but though the photos are rubbish I have a feeling it's right...

The real question is, is this ...

(1) a Squier JV re-logoed as a Fender as the seller seems to suggest (in which case at £430 with six days to go I feel it may sell for more than it's worth)...

(2) or a correctly-logoed non-export Fender JV 62 RI...

(3) or a first-series Squier with Fender-big, Squier-small lettering and the Squier decal only rubbed off (which happened quite often)?

An original low serial neck plate would mean you'd have to think about option 3 but you'd never tell from a photo... EX in the heel pocket would help knock out option 2.

I may be over-thinking this :lol:

Edited by KK Jale

Terrible photos, I'd request more! It's obviously going to have holes in the body that won't have been there when new - thumbrest and the two pickguards - don't know if that bothers you, I'd definitely ask for picks with the guards off. As far as I know that isn't the type of decal on the 00 series JVs (the more sought after fender-badged squires) so it isn't likely to be one of those. Less that £600 would be ok I reckon - nearer £500 ideally.

Edited by tedmanzie

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1447815704' post='2910674']
The real question is, is this ...

(1) a Squier JV re-logoed as a Fender as the seller seems to suggest (in which case at £430 with six days to go I feel it may sell for more than it's worth)...

(2) or a correctly-logoed non-export Fender JV 62 RI...

(3) or a first-series Squier with Fender-big, Squier-small lettering and the Squier decal only rubbed off (which happened quite often)?

[/quote]

My money is on option 1 above. Although as others have said, it will have additional holes that it shouldn't have. Also, I agree the bidding is very high already.

For option 2: I don't think it's a correctly-logoed non-export version as the decal seems to have the patent codes (from what I can see from the poor quality photos) and reissue decals don't have these.

For option 3: the first series Squier with the big Fender logo wouldn't have had the patent codes either, and it would say Made in Japan on the front. The wood grain is not as pronounced as the early series sen ash bodies, the tort pickguard looks like one from some later 1982 models I've seen online, and the tuners are the later version also. The first series have the most accurate vintage correct reverse tuners.

If you can't already tell, I've recently bought a first series JV, so had done some homework at the time :)

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1447878256' post='2911225']
Cheers guys, I have to admit I felt the price was getting a bit strong for a bass that will always have a questionable history, I think I will wait for a more original example to come up even if I end up paying a bit more for it
[/quote]

i think that's a good plan. there have been some very nice ones on this forum.

It's japanese, probably fender, rebadged.
From the auction we have no way of knowing if it's domestic market stuff, or the more desirable export stuff.
If I had an early JV but someone had changed the logo I would be letting people know it's a JV00xxx serial - that the seller isn't, and the winding on the tuners would make me seriously doubt it's a 1982.
My guess would be a later export JV at best.

If it's a good bass it's a good bass- but it's not going to be some vintage collectable bass with the value to match - so if you're buying it on the basis that it's a good bass to play that's fine - if you're after a cheap way of getting a collectable and or nice bass - there's more interesting basses out there in that price bracket IMO
(speaking as a former JV owner who loves them!)