Why become a member? ×

Mythical Live at Leeds Tone??

Samashton12

I'm starting a 3 piece blues band and I might be lusting after a '66 slab body after properly listening to Live at Leeds.

It's THE tone for the band and I'm currently completely, nearly broke.

I have a VT bass and a P bass and I need any info on the internals of the 66' Slab Body, PU's, Caps, Pots etc.

And of course EQ settings.

I play in a similar style, up the neck and really digging in, almost slapping the strings. I'm nearly there with it all.

Thanks,
Sam

Turn the bass almost completely off, leave the mids and treble set mid-way. On the bass, you'll want the tone set to about 75% zing.

Tonnes of gain.

Sounds counter-intuitive, but play lightly and let the amp do the work.

Sounds pretty horrible solo'd but in the band mix it'll cut through like a knife. No need to use effects, just utilise the gain controls.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1447289160' post='2906506']
Turn the bass almost completely off, leave the mids and treble set mid-way. On the bass, you'll want the tone set to about 75% zing.

Tonnes of gain.

Sounds counter-intuitive, but play lightly and let the amp do the work.

Sounds pretty horrible solo'd but in the band mix it'll cut through like a knife. No need to use effects, just utilise the gain controls.
[/quote]

With all due respect I have to disagree with this. You've got the P bass - leave the tone wide open, without a doubt. You'll need the full beast coming through.
It's a bit tricky to question the EQ setting without knowing what you are referring to - possibly the VT bass? I would start by saying the VT bass isn't going to get that Leeds sound - it will give you a nice aggressive valve sound but the Ampeg tone is very different to the Hiwatt tone. I'm going to sound like a broken record here but the Tech 21 Leeds is what you need. Use it as a preamp rather than a standard stomp box and with a P bass the tone is there. Don't take too much notice of the demos on Youtube as they go completely over the top - even the official Tech 21 demo. I have this pedal and use it all the time, and know from experience that with a P bass the sound is there. Of course a proper Slab would give you that extra push on top but it's certainly not vital.
Definitley don't abandon the low end though! ;)

I am assuming your P-bass is a maple neck.

I have owned a '66 slab and feel there was a certain extra something about them. The consensus is, however, that they were not unique, in any way other way than the slab body. To that end, I wouldn't worry too much about the bass and see where you go with the pre-amp suggestion above.

Except that Frankenstein didn't have a slab body. The Ox always said that he thought that the circuitry was somehow different, but it wasn't. The only major difference between standards with maple boards and slabs was that the slabs had cap necks, ie a separate fingerboard.
Of course, this fails to explain why owners of the even rarer rosewood board slabs say that they sound the same...
As all MIM and USA Standards have cap necks these days, almost any new Precision should get you into that ball park. Not forgetting a fresh set of RS66s...

Edited by Telebass

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1447589930' post='2908671']
Just use 2 Hiwatts flat out through 4 off 4 x 12s with old Fane 50w speakers. There's the sound, no mystery. It'll be bloody loud though.
[/quote]
Is that one of those lightweight modular rigs?

Doesn't it also help to hit the stings really hard almost above the neck?

Edited by sbrag

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1447333158' post='2906765']
With all due respect I have to disagree with this. You've got the P bass - leave the tone wide open, without a doubt. You'll need the full beast coming through.
It's a bit tricky to question the EQ setting without knowing what you are referring to - possibly the VT bass? I would start by saying the VT bass isn't going to get that Leeds sound - it will give you a nice aggressive valve sound but the Ampeg tone is very different to the Hiwatt tone. I'm going to sound like a broken record here but the Tech 21 Leeds is what you need. Use it as a preamp rather than a standard stomp box and with a P bass the tone is there. Don't take too much notice of the demos on Youtube as they go completely over the top - even the official Tech 21 demo. I have this pedal and use it all the time, and know from experience that with a P bass the sound is there. Of course a proper Slab would give you that extra push on top but it's certainly not vital.
Definitley don't abandon the low end though! ;)
[/quote]

agreed, the tech 21 Leeds is brilliant! I can even use an old 2nd hand Fender Squire and it sounds decent on it

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...